View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default Interesting possibilities with Google Voice. - 27-03-2009, 12:38

Yesterday I converted my GrandCentral account to Google Voice. There are two new features which could have a lot of value to me:
1. Free calling in the USA.
2. Free SMS
I find it hard to believe but it's true. I sent a SMS to my son at no charge and when he replied, his text was forwarded to my cellphone. The SMS I sent myself came from my Google Voice/GrandCentral number. So, I assume my son replied to that number. They seem to send real SMS and not use the carriers' e-mail gateways. SMS to @tmomail.net are forwarded to a bit bucket but this one came through.

On the free calling, you request a call to any normal US number (I presume 900 numbers don't work) and it calls you back on your phone and connects you to the called number. So, you need a phone line that accepts DID calls. However, the interesting thing (and this is what's neat for travelers) is that phone can be your GizmoProject SIP address. This allows you to sit in a hotel or at a hotspot on the other side of the world and make free calls to just about any phone in the USA.

Now if I can just see if they have a mobile UI for the website that will work with my e61.

Of course, as with anything you do with Google, they record and log everything so be careful what you say and write.