View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
Bossman (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 16-07-2012, 00:36

I agree Stu. I have experienced way too many issues with telna that I can in no way depend on them alone. I will always have a backup or in use them as a backup.

Piranha's rates look really good, almost to the point of too good to be true. Only time will tell if they can maintain these rates on the long run. Like you said, especially with the lower EU roaming rates, a significant portion of the roaming sims business will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Telna doesn't give you a UK number and people have reported reliability issues with Telna. I like Telna's hybrid VOIP/roaming SIM combo and like their concept, but there has been some problems in the implementation. The fact that they are actually a GSM provider rather than an MVNO may help a bit, but I think the ultimate problem is companies falling behind to their upstream provider. I have never heard of the UK mainstream MVNOs having the roaming problems that the roaming SIMs have.

That's my personal opinion. I am watching Pirahana Mobile and I like their price structure. My concern is that many of these companies come to market at a lower rate than they can sustain. Many of them have very good incoming rates which they intend to offset by higher outgoing rates only to learn that people carrying roaming SIMs have far more inbound calls than the average carrier. Folks like us may use technology to invert these calls. Other folks may send a text and say "call me back."

Intra-European roaming is coming down which was an area where they often turned a nice profit.

Phones: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, Samsung Galaxy A50, ASUS zenfone 3,
Sim cards: AT&T (Contract), 3 UK, Piranha Mobile

Last edited by Bossman; 16-07-2012 at 00:42..