View Single Post
Old
  (#8)
marcusmv3 (Offline)

Default 03-08-2011, 13:36

Hi everyone, I'm posting in this old thread because I'm in the exact same situation as the original poster. Can anyone comment on this service: Low-cost Europe cell phones and European SIM cards ? Here's the plan I'm considering, specifically: http://www.callineurope.com/pdf/Price_Pass_France.pdf

I would like to have not only voice and text but also data on my Blackberry Curve 8310 (currently used and registered with AT&T but will be unlocked soon) when I travel to France in a couple weeks, just so I can keep up with email and have some weather, news, and maps. It's not a 3G phone, only EDGE, but I'm more than satisfied with that speed for the basic internet load I'll be using.

I'm worried though, that even with the unlocked phone, and the 100% Blackberry compatible prepaid plan from callineurope.com (runs on SFR in France), that what Inquisitor said about being able to have your Blackberry registered to only one provider at a time will prevent me from utilizing the data service from callineurope.com. Will this be the case? I don't want to plunk down the premium on a Blackberry-specific plan if I can't get any data service just because my Blackberry is still registered here in the US.

If this is indeed the case and you can't use your Blackberry's internet capabilities abroad without cancelling your service back home, then how does callineurope.com get away with selling and marketing a service to tourists that they actually can't even use?!