View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
bossku69 (Offline)

Question Going to Italy for 13 Days, Data & SIM help - 25-02-2011, 16:34

I'm leaving for Italy in about 2 weeks and staying for 13 days. I need to get setup on some type of data (ideally MiFi device) and cellular plan.

I've used pre-paid SIM cards before, but I'm looking for a different route. Ideally would love to use my iPhone 4 with my iPad. I'll be doing a lot of travel with trains from Venice to Rome, Florance, Milan, etc., and need the ease and accessibility of finding my way around, i.e. Google maps & directions on the iPhone.

Last time I went, I bought two pre-paid SIMs for two unlocked phone, a Tmobile G1 and Nokia e61i. Both consumed the $50 worth of data in minutes while using the web and browsing maps.

I found a company that will lease a MiFi but is going to sent me back over $230 for the trip, and that doesnt include cellular minutes. I wont be making a lot of calls, but if I do, they are to an Italian cell or back to the US, as well text messages.

Any suggestions on what to do? I was told to setup a plan with an Italian carrier (TIM, Vodafone, etc.) but can't seem to figure out how to do that. I'd like to stay around $100 to $150 for both cellular and data for the 2 week span... is that possible?

I'm guessing the only way to use my iPhone would be I would have to unlock it to work with another SIM, but I don't mind using the TMobile G1, its got decent maps but just dont want to blow through $50 worth of data in an hour again.

Thanks for any help!