View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 07-11-2005, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfestival
Thanks for that. Most of my usage will be SMS with some voice and a bit of GPRS thrown in (if I can get it to work!), all to the UK.

I only looked at the main Polish page and saw that Sami Swoi was only valid 1/1 whereas Orange was 12mnth incoming.
Let me quote from PPGSM pages:

All Simplus/Sami Swoi SIMs have 365 day "waiting period" after which the number is disabled. This period is counted from the day when credit drops to zero or expiration date for outgoing calls (depending which is first one). After expiration date for incoming calls the SIM theoretically requires reactivation by a top-up, but in practice incoming calls are possible until the end of the "waiting period".

This means that Plus prepaids are valid for a year (sometmies even more if they forget to disable SIMs).

My recommendations for you are the following.

1) Sami Swoi

0.24 PLN/sms, 2.00 PLN/min to UK (and all Europe), GPRS:
Internet 6.10 PLN/MB (charged each 100 kB)
WAP 30.00 PLN/MB (charged each 10 kB)
Extras: free voicemail, CSD/HSCSD data calls 0.24 PLN/min, landline calls 0.24 PLN/min (useful if you want to use calling cards to decrease your cost of international calls - the best rates are with landline access numbers).

2) Simplus (tariff Easy - the default one or Team7).
0.20 PLN/sms, 2.84 PLN/min to UK, GPRS:
Internet 6.10 PLN/MB (charged each 100 kB)
WAP 30.00 PLN/MB (charged each 10 kB)

Rest of prepaids has much more expensive international SMSes: 0.61 PLN (including Pop in Orange, they have raised the rate from 0.20 recently :ranting2: ).

Heyah is also worth consideration despite expensive international SMSes (best international rates, 10% more on each top-up under very "light" conditions, better rates on GPRS, one of favourite brands of the Honourable Founder of PPGSM ) but it requires GPRS activation via their Polish-only website and doesn't match your requirements about the validity period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerfestival
What would be useful is internet top up incase I want to top up before I go to Poland.

I have though about Riiing, but texts seem quite expensive. I normally text from my 'foreign' phone and people text me back on my UK phone.
Theoretically you can, but in practice AFAIK all the Polish prepaids require cards issued in Poland for online top-ups .

Feel free to ask any other questions.