Prepaid Fan

Default 11-11-2005, 17:37

Quick Facts
Network Name: 7eleven
Website: http://<a href="http://www.7-eleven....12&thumb=1</a>
Product Name: SpeakOut Wireless
Owned by/Major partners: MVNO on Cingular's network
Operational Frequency: GSM 850 and GSM 1900
Prepaid Package Cost (Just SIM): There is no SIM pack available, Package costs vary (approx. price $80 for phone and SIM)
Prepaid Package Validity: 365 days from activation
CSD access: No
GPRS access: No
EDGE access: No
SIM applications: No
Manual included: Yes (english and spanish I believe)
Refill amounts: $20, $50, $75, $100
Availability: Available at 7-eleven stores
Competitors: T-Mobile, Cingular, Oxygen, XE Mobile, CallPlus, Locus, POP, Net10, TracFone

More In-Depth Information

Buying:
The Good:
You can buy a prepaid package at just about any 7-eleven store. There are reports that the phone that you get is unlocked.

The Bad:
There are no SIM-only packs. The SIM card that you get is a cingular SIM (weird...they did not even bother to rebrand it). Some people report that not all 7-11 stores have this prepaid package for sale.

Usage:
The Good:
On-network time is claimed to be 20 cents per minute (which I guess is good for prepaid). There are customizable graphics, and ringtones available. CallerID, Call waiting, three way calling and voicemail are included. SMS messages are 10 cents. Your minutes are valid for 365 days (wow!). The coverage is the same as cingular's - which I consider quite good. The phone comes pre-activated, and the battery is charged! The manual has the mobile's number printed on it.

The Bad:
Customer service is not always available. Users report that they got the answering machine when they called (out for lunch maybe?). No data available, no CSD, no EDGE, no GPRS. Calling internationally an international SMS are questionable. There are also reports that the per minute charge varies by the network you are registered with (hmmm...sounds fishy).

TIPS:
Get a prepaid package from an area near to where you will be staying or you will incur roaming charges!!!!

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I've got mixed feelings about this prepaid package. The rates seem pretty cheap, but I do not know if one is able to call internationally, or SMS internationally. It seems like a pretty cheap calling plan, if you get the package in an area where you will be most of the time. The phone is reportedly unlocked, so you can sell it on ebay, or give it to your buddy, or use it as your backup for your other providers (it is 1900/850 only though). Thanks to VladS for the info.

Club Admiralty - website with stuff about me
Current Prepaid: None
Older Prepaid: AT&T wireless; TracFone; Telestet; Vodafone GR; Fido; SFR; T-mobile US; Tuyo, Cosmote
Postpaid: at&t