Thread: Data in Europe?
View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
robert11111 (Offline)

Default Data in Europe? - 22-03-2007, 17:19

I am traveling throughout Europe, presently in Italy, then to Switzerland, Austria, Greece, etc.

I need data download and upload everywhere, perhaps 100 Mb/month, or preferably 300 Mb/month or more. Most of the time, I just need email and some internet browsing. But a few times per month, I need to upload or download files that are, perhaps, 50 Mb in size.

I need a data card (or cellphone that can also be a modem) and a reliable plan that can get high-speed data coverage all over Europe, falling back to a lower speed, such as GPRS, when necessary.

Can anyone recommend a good data plan, either prepaid or subscription? Also a necessary data card or cellphone?

I will probably spend a month or two in each country, sometimes more or less.

So far, I have seen Cingular/AT&T's Global DataConnect plan using the Sierra 875 PC card, which allows unlimited 3G/UMTS/HSDPA/EDGE/GPRS data in the USA, or 100 Mb/mo of data in Europe, at a cost of $139.99/mo, with a one or two year contract. Does anyone know if this service is reliable, and does it work everywhere in Europe? This plan seems all right, except for the 100 Mb limit.

I also found an offer in Italy from TIM, where you buy a Huawei E620 card for 249 euros, and then pay 25 euros for a one-month sim that allows 9 Gb/mo of evening and weekend data. The TIM rep in Italy said that similar sims were available in other countries, but the Greek rep denied this possibility. Does anyone know if this plan is useful everywhere, or only in Italy?

Thank you.