View Single Post
Old
  (#9)
Przemolog (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 01-01-2006, 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asick
Exactly! However, I'm not sure there would be a fully functional GSM operator at all. I guess the Soviet economy had no chances in producing hi-tech devices, so they would need to import foreign cellular phones,
What about weapons ?

Quote:
but Soviet government always avoided import of consumer electronics etc., just few arrived here via partially unofficial channels and were sold on black markets. I guess
(...)
there would be the only network that would cover only Moscow and Leningrad city centers accessible only for roamers and communist party bosses. Or, they
Quite possible. After all, there's a GSM network in Cuba and even in North Korea .

Quote:
You didn't end your phrase about Transdnistria, what's about operators there?
oster_oops: - just corrected it - I meant no "native" GSM network is there (although the area is probably covered by Moldovan networks).

Quote:
Actually, this stripe of land is much more USSR than Belarus, people say it often looks as time stands still there. However, it's not a real country with 10 millions of people, such as Belarus.
Transnistria is not a country in this sense that it isn't recognised by any other country, but de facto it is a country with its own president, government, parliament, currency and border controls.

Quote:
You know, Russian landline monopolists usually provide some discounts for veterans and invalids too. [...]
never heard here about any discounts for veterans on GSM tariffs.
The discounts in Poland were forced by telecommunication law. AFAIK those discounts are now obligatory for so-called "dominant operators" only i.e. the ones that have at least 40% share in the market. In the mobile market it's almost impossible so that such a situation would happen since there are 3 moreless equivalent operators, and the fourth one with licence valid from June 2006. But on the landline market Polish Telecom will always be dominant (about 90% now).