View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
liz5959 (Offline)

Default 23-02-2006, 15:06

I'm so glad to have found this community, and hope that someone will be able to give me some more useful advice than I have been able to find so far in hours of internet searching.

I'm sending my 18 yo daughter to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice) from US with a school group. It is, of course, the same week that college acceptance letters are due to arrive at home. She would really like to stay in contact.

I'm thinking about buying the Sieman's A70 unlocked phone from mobilee.com for $80. The last time we traveled to Europe, we rented a phone from Verizon. Its advantage was that any one calling me from the US only had to dial my regular cell phone number. I do think that owning a unlocked gsm phone is now the way to go. I don't really care about too many phone functions, I just want it to work! The Sieman's A70 looks like an acceptable choice.

What I can't figure out is since my daughter is only going to be in one country, am I better off buying an Italian SIM card from Cellurabroad.com or an international SIM card from United-Mobile.com . Or is there a better place to buy an Italian SIM?

I do realize that it is most often advised to just go to a tobacco shop and buy a SIM card in Italy. But, I would really like to deal with this prior to her leaving, so I know the phone number, and so she doesn't have to detour from the group to run to a tobacco shop. Any insights? Thanks so much.