Thread: Telna Again?
View Single Post
Old
  (#149)
schuster (Offline)
Official Member

Default 12-06-2016, 13:21

Just returned from a trip to Canada (I'm in the US) with my telna and Piranha SIMs running side by side in a dual-sim phone.
Some quick observations.

Both SIMs functioned for voice calls. I did not use any data services. Piranha roamed on Rogers, and telna on Telus. Voice quality on Piranha was definitely poorer, to the point where I had to use telna to access an automated credit card voice response system because Piranha did not transmit the touch tones I used to enter my credit card number reliably.

Both had issues with SMS to recipients on Verizon USA. Texts took hours or days to be transmitted, and often were repeated many times - to the point where the recipient decided to simply turn off the phone for the night; such was the annoyance. Never received a single text in response from either SIM.

The iroam web site now contains call records for all the test calls I was making on the telna SIM since January. If I use the SIM toolkit function to check balance, I see that there is a NEGATIVE balance corresponding to the last payment I made when telna was still operating. This number got smaller as I used the account, so it seems that my last telna payment is now on the account as a credit balance.

The Piranha web site also has my call records but there are so many extraneous things going on there (callback SMS - no charge) that it is really difficult to figure out what is going on with their billing. On the plus side, after a week of use I was probably charged a total of 1 - 1.50 GBP, so why complain.

Travelling again soon to Europe. Since telna works, and I appear to have a credit balance, it's going along.