View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
Nukesafe (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Trouble dialing out from U.S. with United Mobile SIM - 09-09-2007, 02:16

I'm a newbie, an I hesitate to enter this forum because my problem is probably due to some stupidly simple thing I'm doing wrong -- but here goes.

I ordered two United Mobile SIMs for our upcoming Paris trip, and installed them in a couple of Motorola V190s I got on eBay. I went through the activation ritual, but can't get the phones to call out.

The phones work, in that they light up, etc., but when I enter a number and hit "Send", I get a screen that says, "Message Not Allowed". I wait to be disconnected, and to get the ring back, as UM's instructions say, but that never happens. The phone sits there for awhile, then changes to "Entering". Then it goes dark. I thought it was just that I was inputting the wrong international code, and I tried all possible combinations; +, 00, 01, 011, etc.

I tried calling one Motorola phone from the other. No go.

I tried my home and U.S. cell numbers, and a few overseas friends. No go.

Then I tried calling the new phones from my own Verizon cell phone, using the prefix 011 44, and both of the new ones rang, so the phones must be functional.

One other thing i noticed, that might give a clue, is that every time I power the phone down, then power it up again, I must re-enter the PIN.

I have sent an email to United Mobile, but have not had any feedback.

Does anyone have any suggestions?