View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
DRNewcomb (Offline)
Prepaid Professionist

Default 08-10-2009, 14:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkow View Post
Are there Western Union branches at most airports? Do I assume that the SIM also gets its incoming area code depending on which branch you pick it up at?

I read somewhere that the SIM does not allow international calls or SMS so at least for voice, a dialthrough sounds like a good idea. Pity about SMs. Would it therefore not recieve international SMS either?
Western Union used to be the main telegraph/telex company in the US. They had offices in every town. They were reformulated as a service to wire cash from person to person, particularly for emergencies. They now work almost entirely through agents, such as drug stores, groceries, ticket agents, pawn shops, etc. I would be very surprised if there were not at least one Western Union agent in every major airport in the US . A quick check shows at least four in the Atlanta airport. I would not know if they sold the SIM cards or not.

Since they seem to be offering a repackaged ATT service, my guess is that the SIMs will receive foreign SMS but are blocked from sending them because of the higher costs.