View Single Post
Old
  (#19)
gsmmaster (Offline)

Default 25-10-2007, 23:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATHA531 View Post
I'm not sure this was the issue with the Isle of Man fiasco....when I was checking out rates on cbw and enlinea, I noted that rates to use their services from UK mobiles were extremely high and it simply wasn't economical to use them (that is CBW and Enlinea) to call out on an Isle of Man sim card. Likewise, it is not economical to call out on a UM+ card using cbw and/or enlinea as rates are in the vicinity of $0.50/minute for UK mobiles as opposed to $0.29 to German and French mobiles.
I'm not sure if people here realise that if you get any rate for free prepaid international mobile incoming below around $0.50 that there is some operator in the chain losing money, this is the reason why there is bad access to prepaid number ranges from many voip operators and also why the numbers get blocked.

International prepaid callback roaming isn't really a free lunch, most of the operators providing these services are struggling due to the sheer cost of maintaining the mobile network, then people like us come along and say hey, it's expensive to call the numbers, but still want free incoming when the operators are making hardly any money.

Let me elaborate, the SMS charges are very high in a roaming scenario, let's suppose $0.30 per message, you make a call and it's busy, so you call back in 5 minutes, operator has fees of $0.60 to cover along with the callback charge from the first call, say $0.20. .. so operator has fees of $0.80 to cover when you pick up, you talk for 2 minutes and pay $1.00, operator makes 20c.

Then people think, hey, I paid $1 for a 2 minute call, how expensive, let's use callback, and so the operator doesn't even get his 20c.

More power to Yackie for providing a professional and value packed service with local DID ranges in scores of countries with good quality voice and good support

Last edited by gsmmaster; 25-10-2007 at 23:38..