View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 10-11-2015, 23:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbln View Post
Hi. Sure Telcel had to react to the new AT&T Unidos on the horizon. But these prices are a reply mostly to Movistar, which has not been mentioned so far.
I did briefly mention them (second to last paragraph of my original message). Doesn't really compete for me because they appear to charge for incoming calls outside Mexico, and don't cover Canada (I spend about a third of the year in Canada).

I also got the impression from the Bye al Roaming page that data wasn't included (it mentions "calls and SMS" above the flags) although reading the fine print it seems it is. (but the official tariff only mentions calls: http://www.movistar.com.mx/documents...+30Jul2015.pdf )

They could certainly make the wording clearer.

Quote:
In their 'Bye Roaming' promo http://www.movistar.com.mx/bye-roaming they offer 1 MB roaming data in the US at 0.85 MXP on their regular prepaid Prepago Simple line, while Telcel offers a default rate of 1.98 MXP per MB. That's more than twice as much on their special and complicated tariff "Tarifa Optimo Plus sin frontera".
True, but if you're using data by the MB rather a package (not a good idea), you'll soon reach the higher Telcel recharge amounts which lower their price to nearly the same. As I mentioned, this is almost entirely for voice for me, there are better options for data.

Quote:
It would be nice to know on which network Movistar allows roaming in the US as T-Mobile seems to go for Telcel and AT&T has its own plans in Mexico.
I do have a Movistar sim as well. It flips between both T-Mobile (preferred) and AT&T in the US. I don't know if that's all areas, I don't use it often.

BTW, I forgot to mention, Telcel doesn't roam on T-Mobile's roaming areas in the US (mostly very rural). An example is Ely, Nevada where T-Mobile prepaid roams on AT&T, and Telcel doesn't find anything it can roam on.

Sims: Telcel MX, T-Mobile US, Virgin Mobile UK, Orange UK, Knowroaming
Voip: Localphone UK, Anveo US, Google Voice