View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
Yazcedric (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 01-03-2007, 05:35

Hi, wwbusch,

OK, I looked up several HKG cellular providers' websites.
1) CSL seems to have prepaid SIM with GPRS capability.
http://prepaid.hkcsl.com/ehome.html
Unfortunately, I never use this card and I cannot comment further, but they provide GPRS setting in their website.
I will consider this card for my next trip in July.
They charge $2.5 HK dollar/month to maintain the account.

2) per smartone's website, their PayGo (different from "Store-valued" SIM, which is prepaid account) has GPRS option
http://www.smartone-vodafone.com/jsp...lish/index.jsp
Caveat is that this is not a prepaid SIM because they charge $60 HKdollar (~5.8 euro)/month to "maintain" the account; ie, they will charge this amount regardless of your usage.
Once the balance reaches below 0, they suspend the account until you top-up.
Interesting part is that they keep track of this negative balance and they will subtract any negative balance (that has been accumulated) from your next top-up.
I am not sure how long they will keep doing this before they terminate your account.
I got this info from a user who purchased this card and the smartone's term/condition pdf also mentions this issue).
Therefore, depending on your frequency of visit/stay, you can consider one of these options.

I would consider CSL if it is easy to set up GPRS.
As I mention in my first reply to this thread, the roaming (ie inbound/outbound calls made outside Hong Kong) rate is relatively expensive compared to the rate for calls made inside Hong Kong.

Yazcedric

Cellphones: Nokia E70 (unlocked), Nokia 6010 (unlocked), Nokia 6030 (T-mobile USA)
Prepaid SIM: T-mobile USA, Smartone-Vodafone HK, Yackiemobile, O2 UK
Expired SIM: Orange France (prepaid)
Unknown status: MeSim (most likely expired)
Prepaid phone: Softbank Sharp 201SH
VoIP: Voxalot, voipcheap, Tpad.com, Freedigits.com, Globe7, Gizmo project, voicestick
Mobile VoIP: Truphone, Fring