View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
rickgans (Offline)

Default 02-07-2008, 15:17

UPDATE-

Based on my research, which I must say has been more difficult than I would have imagined for this subject, I have decided to go with the following:

I have purchased an unlocked HTC TyTyn II. I am going to use the SIM from a T-Mobile phone that my company has and rarely uses. I will get voice calls for $.99/minute and data for $.015/kb. My guess is in 3 weeks I will spend about $300-$400 for airtime for both. T-Mobile suggested I check in my airport of departure to France (Boston) for European cell carriers selling prepaid SIM cards and buy one of those for local calls while in France. That was nice of them. They even said to call once I get my HTC phone and they will help me make sure their SIM card works in it. I am pretty impressed with their help and services compared to AT&T, whom I had called with similar questions.

And for Snaimon, yes, Verizon does lend a Blackberry 8830 to its customers at no charge. It may be that I am a 21 year customer or that I have 11 lines of service with them, but that is the deal. They do require a credit card for a deposit and they make money on the airtime. I am guessing this is their way of competing with AT&T and T-Mobile for their customers who travel overseas. Two years ago I got a phone from them for my daughter to use and it was pretty much the same deal, except at that time, they charged $3/day for rental of the phone. Guess they re-thought that policy as that probably cost them customers who travel overseas.