Old
  (#2)
Effendi (Offline)
The great Dictator!
Prepaid Prophet

Default 10-09-2009, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-mac View Post
* When data bundles are prepaid, does the card itself ever expire and disallow any top ups?
* Are there any additional charges - for initial purchase, activation, deactivation, etc?
* Do they all require the purchase of a dongle?
* If you buy a short period of time or a data allowance.....do you need a new card the next time you go to Italy a year or more later..... or can you just top up the card you already have?

* Can the sims be used in both dongles and smartphones?
1) it expires every 11 or 12 months, depending on the operator. It's written on the "validity" field on every operator's page.
2) Same as above, you didn't look the page carefully. Of course you have to pay something to buy a sim card, it usually is 10€ including 5€ of credit
3) Of course not.
4) If you come back later than 11/12 months and you didn't refill the card in the meantime your card will expire (see point 1).
5) Yes, of course

Quote:
I note in some of the data offers, such as that from 3 (Tre) and that from Wind, that underneath the rates for volume-based or time-based data, it states the length of time it's valid for followed by this phrase...X number of days (recurring automatically)......
It means that if the bundle costs X euros and lasts 1 month and the offer is "recurring", after 30 days you will be automatically billed X euros again and you will have other XX MB/hours of data again for 1 month. Unless you have credit on your simcard, of course, since we are talking about prepaid. If you do not have credit you cannot surf.
IMPORTANT: if you don't want the offer to recur automatically, you MUST disable it before the end date of the bundle. Even if they are prepaid, most operators go "below zero" with your credit so if you refill they will take you the money.

Quote:
I want to find a data sim that I can use for one week only, light usage only, but keep for usage on a later trip. I need to be able either to buy it in advance from the UK or buy it in southern Sardinia when I get there.
I think the "Naviga3 Week" offer by 3 is your perfect solution. Just disable it at the end of the week. Must important thing: first check if you have coverage by 3.

Quote:
If I bring my netbook, I will have an unlocked dongle with me that will work with any data sim......

* Is that allowed?
of course it is

Quote:
Alternatively, I might just bring an unlocked HTC Touch Pro 2 and put a data sim in that.....

* Will it work?
of course yes

Here I put a new sticky thread:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/euro...ata-italy.html

Working Prepaids: IT: Wind, Vodafone IT, UNO Mobile; SM: Prima; UK: 3, Virgin; INT: TravelSIM, Truphone.
Deceased Prepaids: CZ: Oskar, Eurotel; SK: Orange; DE: E-Plus, Aldi, Simyo; GE: Geocell; AM: Armentel; PL: Heyah, Plus; LT: Tele2; LV: Amigo; EE: Elisa; UA: Kyivstar; NZ: Vodafone; INT: UM, UM+, ICQSim.
GSM/3G Phones: Nokia Lumia 630 dual sim