View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
ckh (Offline)
Amateur Member

Thumbs up Best practice international GSM setup - 10-08-2013, 18:34

After reading a lot of threads I'm fully prepared for our Round-The-World trip to various countries in South America, Indonesia, Japan, China, and various countries in Africa.

I'll take with me 2 onesimcard.com SIMs, both with an additional US number.

For a couple of reasons:
- One for my wife and one for me, so we can call each other if needed for $0,25
- To "connect" both US numbers to my Google Voice number so both SIMs will ring during our trip; pretty convenient probably
- The Estonian prepaid SIMS are generally of a better quality then others: both for voice and number of roaming partners
- The rates of onesimcard are pretty simply structured and generally low. Offcouse xxsim and airbalticcard offers the same rates (but in euro which is actually my default currency); the support and website of onesimcard is however much better
- And a little bit to also be prepared if one of our phones gets stolen; we can than just switch airtime and order a replacement SIM.

Do you all agree?

Is this the best setup ever? I'm very curious...

There is only one wish left. I would like to also connect a extra SIM with an US number where I can receive SMS messages for free. Do you therefore have some suggestions for me? This extra provider can then directly also be our backup provider for voice.