View Single Post
Old
  (#14)
borjeg (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 01-09-2007, 18:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motel75 View Post
You've got to be kidding -- you didn't see a Tabacchi or a kiosk anywhere in Italy?

That's not true at all, although there are always going to be difficult and poorly-informed shop clerks, who are the rule, rather than the exception, in Germany.

If you want a postpaid account, and you are a non-German citizen, you need to present your foreign passport and police registration to prove your address in Germany. It doesn't make any difference if the foreign passport has an address or not (as it would be a foreign address).

But for prepaid there's no such requirement for police registration, only that you show a foreign passport (and sometimes a bank card). They do ask for an address, but your hotel will do. If you were told something else, it was wrong. (When the World Cup was on, Vodafone and T-Mobile both advertised prepaid SIMs to foreign visitors, not something they would do if these were not available to non-residents.)
Of course I saw them, theese are also shops that sell recharges! but only large. That's what I've been trying to tell you. Is my English THAT bad?

Well, if it is a law or not doesn't really make any difference if they still refuse to sell me what I'm asking for, because my address is not in the passport.