View Single Post
Old
  (#16)
PhotoJim (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 11-12-2007, 15:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by bylo View Post
BTW a new entrant would be crazy to not use GSM. Indeed, Bell and Telus are at such a disadvantage to Rogers because they're still on CDMA that they both now offer a "World" BlackBerry that has CDMA plus quadband GSM so that their lucrative business users will stay with them but still be able to use their phones when travelling outside of Canada. I'm sure that if Bell and Telus could redo their decision to go CDMA they'd choose GSM instead.
The one thing that makes me wonder about this is the issue of US roaming. Canadians are far more likely to go to the US than they are to go to any other country. In many parts of the US, GSM coverage is really quite dreadful. If a prospective new Canadian carrier is more concerned about US roaming than it is about worldwide roaming and inexpensive telephone and radio availability, it might well choose CDMA. (Frankly I hope this doesn't happen, but it's very possible.)

CA: SaskTel, Wind postpaid; Rogers, Bell postpaid iPad flex plans; US: T-Mobile postpaid data, prepaid voice; PureTalk (AT&T MVNO) prepaid voice/data; AT&T prepaid iPad plan

Hardware: Too much but notably iPhone 5, iPad Mini Retina LTE, Moto G LTE (N.A. version), iPhone 4. All unlocked.