View Single Post
Old
  (#36)
GadgetKen (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-05-2014, 05:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfranzq View Post
Saw your related [& vague---no details/specs]post on HoFo.
You are not planning to use Telna for 3G in the US, are you?
Looking forward for your reports and review.
Description of phone in the Amazon US listing: http://www.amazon.com/FEITENG-H9503-...keywords=h9503 Specifications are a bit fuzzy like many Shenzhen phones. From what I've heard the rear camera is really 5 megapixel interpolated up to 8 megapixels. Some dealers also claim it can take a max of 16 gb for a micro sd expansion card where others say 32 gb. Permanent memory is only 512 mb ram and 4 gb rom. The display is big but doesn't have the resolution of the name brands that it's copying. But it has unique features like triple sim capability and the price is very good.

Don't know if Telna works in 3g mode in the US. It's a moot point anyway:
-Neither the Blu dual sim phone I use currently nor the Feiteng phone in transit to me cover the T-Mo 3g frequencies (1700 AND 2100 Mhz or limited 1900 mhz refarmed spectrum as result of the failed merger with AT&T). 3G frequencies on both handsets are 850 or 2100 mhz.
-Also the Telna US T-Mo voice rates are 8 cents out and five cents in. Lyca is only two cents a minute.
What I really need Telna for is travel outside the US where they offer competitive rates. While T-Mo does offer cheap international roaming now...that's only for $50+/month plans. Telna offers a more practical solution for the occasional international traveler like myself. Certainly was cheaper in St. Maarten where I could place Telna calls on Digicel Antilles Francaises for a quarter a minute instead of the hotel room rate of $6 for the first minute and $4.50 for additional minutes.
Telna would make sense for me for US backup data purposes and international primary data purposes for the new phone because it's an easy to set up APN. I don't care if the connection is only Edge or GPRS in the US since my 2 mifi devices are both LTE with fallback to slower standards. It's no big deal to put a mifi device in a jacket pocket or in a small camera case on my belt.

Phones/Wireless Devices: Doogee S90, Isatphone Pro, Amazon Kindle 3G, SkyRoam MiFi device, Karma MiFi device, AT&T Liberate MiFi device
Sim Cards: T-Mobile (Mint), AT&T (Mifi device or Kindle), Koko
Satphone: InMarSat
Broadband US Wireless Data: AT&T postpaid, Sprint (Karma Mobility prepaid)
Broadband International Data: SkyRoam
VOIP: Skype