View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
siskiou (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default Cheap prepaid Internet for short stay in Germany? [merged] - 23-02-2009, 06:08

I'm visiting Germany Mid-March for two weeks and am looking for an easy and cheap way to get into the net for email and surfing while there.

A friend is loaning me their T-MOBILE Web´n Walk Compact II card, which is supposedly not SIM or Net locked.

Now, I've read what seems like a million different things about rates and such, but am still not clear what I really need to get online, and which company offers reasonable speed and reliability.

Tchibo, Blau, O2, Simyo, Fonic...

Can I just purchase one of their SIM cards and I'm all set? Where would I find the info to sign in and the connection software? I don't have a Handy there, nor a bank account, and I haven't found a way to purchase online with a creditcard from here.

I have an address I could have the card sent to in Germany, but I can't find a way to pay for the card ahead of time from the US.
And how would I register the card once I've bought it?

Is it easy to buy a SIM in a shop, once in Germany?

Frankly, I'm totally confused by all the offers and the small print (am fluent in German), and my questions via email to a couple of companies have only muddied the waters further.

I'd prefer a prepaid flatrate for 30 days, so I don't have to watch my usage and load up the card again. Something that isn't linked to a cellphone contract and can be activated without a cellphone.

What I need are instructions like:
buy this brand SIM here,
download this conncection software,
fill in the following data...

I hope I can find some enlightenment here!