View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
wolfbln (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 05-06-2018, 08:23

Hi Svenn.

You are now opening the 2nd new thread about the BNE SIM card.
User reports about this SIM are very mixed indeed.

It tastes all a bit like product placement. BNE uses only the network of o2 in Germany. This network is - as you will probably know - one of the worst in Europe when it comes to 4G/LTE. Only 66% area coverage and low speeds under 3G standards by overcrowding in some cities. So how can a roaming SIM card work "very well" on a network which simply isn't?

I mean, I really like their offer. It's good that finally Asian providers (BNE is from Hong Kong) give out good roaming options too. But their focus is clearly on limited national packages that you have to activate.
The "unlimited" version for Europe and Asia (which is in fact limited to 100GB, but this is almost the same) is a nice once-off feature. We've only learned after asking multiple questions that this plan can only be activated once on new SIM cards and so far can't be extended beyond this one month.

So, obviously they may offer a good option for a once-off use of one month, but not for continuous roaming for which you will need to buy a new SIM card every month.
I think it would be much more helpful and informative for the readers to collect all pros and cons of this SIM in one thread than to start another one about it.

When it comes to "unlimited" in roaming - no provider offers this right now without strings attached. Every SIM card in roaming has some sort of a FUP, throttle or other limitation in place. The financial risk of using unlimited high-speed data is too high for roaming providers up to now. BNE gives 100GB, others may give less, but offer unlimited data capped at somewhat lower speeds. The buzzword "unlimited" has been so flawed by the industry, that I really recommend not to use it anymore. At least as long as you don't specify, what you really mean by "unlimited". We in Germany had the same problem with the term "flatrate", before courts stopped providers from using it for rates which were not so "flat" after all. When it comes to "unlimited", any possible open data package can have this label attached.

Last edited by wolfbln; 05-06-2018 at 08:47..