View Single Post
Old
  (#3)
dg7feq (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 05-06-2007, 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmastera View Post
Great forum, I've been learning alot...I've got a couple of questions about Mexico (Cancun) that' I'm sure you all can help me with...

I have T-Mobile in the US with an unlocked Blackjack. I'll be in Cancun for a week and need to be reachable while I'm there. I'd like to get a prepaid SIM when I arrive in Cancun but I'm not sure which company would be best for me. I have cheap calling (.06 - 0.10/min) from the US to Mexico and I plan to forward my US cell number to my office where I will route calls to my Mexican prepaid number to take advantage of these rates...so free incoming calls on the prepaid would be great. For calls to the US, I have callback capability so I can take advantage of these rates for "outgoing" calls to the US, but I'll still have to make the initial call to the US...Which company/plan will give me the best value for calling to the US?

Another side of this is that the hotel is supposed to have free wifi, but as a backup I'd like to be able to tether my laptop at EDGE speeds like I do here in the US.

I almost forgot coverage. We may move around a bit in Cancun but for the most part I'll need coverage while at the resort. I've checked the coverage maps for the carriers but I can't make sense of it since I don't know where anything is...maybe one of you do? I'll be at the Sun Palace, Blvd. Kukulcan KM. 20 Zona Hotelera, CancĂșn, Q.Roo 77500

Thanks for your help, I look forward to your suggestions.
Hello,
for voice i used 09-SIM as well. It works 100% well and was very cheap in combination with a callback service (CallBackWorld).

For data i used our german o2-SIM card. I can confirm that EDGE is available nearly everywhere in the country and the speed is around 200kbps which is very good. Be aware that data is extremely expensive in Mexico, also for domestic cards. Use the Wifi whenever you can - there are tons of hotspots all over the country. my laptop always picked up 3-5 wherever i scanned.

Chris

Germany: o2 blue all-in L, simquadrat
Thailand: truemove (phone+sms+wifi)
International: xxSim+372, toggle +44/+49/+41/+31
Phones: Huawei Mate7, Huawei P9