View Single Post
Old
  (#4)
RTuesday (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 20-07-2008, 08:14

Quote:
Basically they have 1day (12pesos)(1mb limit) and 15 days(90 pesos) 10mb limit.
With additional data at 40 pesos per MB, could add up very fast. The "daily" rate is in fact 24 hours use from when you activate it, interesting. 1MB is nothing, still really expensive.

Quote:
Also, anyone know any promotions they have, i.e. you put 200 pesos and you get 300 pesos or anything like that like Movistar has?
Telcel does offer extra airtime for the larger (200 pesos and up) refills. See the "Fichas Amigo" page on their site. Might vary by region but in BC it's 260 pesos airtime for 200 pesos, up to 900 pesos for a 500 peso card, quite a deal if you're a heavy user - each per-20 min call to the US becomes effectively 6.4 pesos (63c).

As I mentioned before, I'm fairly sure I got data to work on prepaid Telcel a while back in the border area, but in the area I need it there is no data service (Telcel phone coverage does NOT equal data coverage). I don't currently have the phone settings I used then.

So I had a little look round and found this (in Spanish):

http://www.con-cafe.com/index.php/20...repago-mexico/

It's all about the improved roaming in the US, but does include details of how to get the data settings. And I've just tried it, while roaming in US on AT&T - sent "todas" to 500, setting arrived, and it connects, with Edge. Should also work in some (not all!) Telcel areas then - rates are shown on the website under Telcel Amigo/ Servicios de Datos - 40 pesos/MB.

I'd love to have GPRS coverage in Mexico, but for me these prices make it unusable - even if it was usable.