View Single Post
Old
  (#9)
Stu (Offline)
Prepaid Guru

Default 29-01-2010, 22:37

In November, ATT said that it would permit VOIP over 3g on the iPhone. Yesterday, the Apps started rolling out that were 3g enabled without a jailbreak. If you couple these together, could be a powerful combination.

I have an ATT contract Blackberry with unlimited international data. Shape Services will be roling out a version a Skype client that will work on the Blackberry, but only in simplex mode. You have to squawk like an old walkie talkie. Still.

On the iPhone plan, people have reported talking the international desk into it. I've debated seeing whether they would give it to me since I am on Blackberry International, but there is a part of me that may stay put. ATT has never screwed with my data consumption, never screwed with me being outside the U.S. for a long period of time, and I've got inbound/outbound calls via prepaid roaming SIMs in most places of the world exceptionally cheap or free. The Blackberry is a great callback trigger and my experience with VOIP over 3g has been mixed. What I need to do is buy Vlad an expensive dinner and get a "tune up."