View Single Post
Old
  (#1)
Robin (Offline)

Question Spain: YOIGO PREPAGO HSDPA Connection drops to 10 kbps! - 23-10-2009, 17:05

I have recently bought a YOIGO Prepaid SIM, which you can use in a mobile phone for voice calls, or in a USB Modem (Dongle) to connect to the internet for 1:20euros per day, at up to 384 kbps. YOIGO uses the 'Movistar' network where we are.

We used it firstly in the phone while we bought the dongle (on Ebay), unlocked it (www.online-unlock.com), downloaded & installed the original Huawei E160G connection software (Called: Mobile Partner. Googled this: 'E160G Client Software-WINMACB300D00SP01C03 (UTPS11.300.05.00.03_MACHOST11.202.08.00.03) (For Winxp&2K&Vista &MAC) (05010AAG) (10395 KB) 27-May-2009') and we were all ready to go

Our house is quite remote, in the hills North of Malaga.
At the house we get, at best, 2 bars on the 'Movistar' network and with the phone hanging on the front door we get text messages.
To make a 'voice' call, we have to walk 50m or so, round the corner to a point where we are looking down the valley towards the nearest town (tho we can't see it from here). We can get GPRS five bars at this point.
Our land rises from here, and if we go up about 50m or so, the signal changes to HSDPA five bars.

Now I'll get to the point Connected first time with the HSDPA five bars with good speed. Tested by doing a Google Image search, which displays a page of thumbnails. Passed this test with flying colours... the page & thumbnails were virtually instant. I also tested using YouTube with acceptable results.
Was online about 40 mins with no problems, speed remained good.

Mobile Partner, like most connection software, has a built-in 'real time' graph which shows up & download performance.

Later in the day I connected again. The first 10mins were fine with good speeds. Then, suddenly the 'download' speed dropped to around 10 kbps..and stayed there for the next hour, at which point I'd had enough, disconnected and went down the hill to the house, puzzled!

Next day connected again.... fine, no probs for the time I was online..about 30mins.

Next day connected again..... after 10-15mins 'download' speed drops to around 10 kbps..... and stayed there. It has gone on like this ever since (a week).

Now, I am not trying to do peer to peer or massive downloads...just checking email & surfing some pages.... so this cant be punishment for over use!

We would be eternally grateful to antone who can shine any light on our connection prob.
Attached Images