Network Name: TIM (formerly Telestet)
Owned by/Major partner: TIM
Operational Frequency: 900 GSM and 2100 UMTS
Prepaid Package Cost (Just SIM): 19 Euro
CSD access: Yes
GPRS access: Yes
SIM applications: Yes
Manual included: Yes
Refill amounts: 9, 15,30 Euro (Higher available in Airports)
Availability: TIM stores, Independent Dealers, Kiosks, "Psilikatzidika"
Program Name: Free2Go, For All
Competitors: Cosmote, Vodafone, Q-Telecom

More In-Depth Information

Buying:
The Good:
I bought a "B-Free" package ("For All"s predecessor) online from an amazon.com like store in Greece. It was fairly cheap, back then I paid only 13 euro if memory serves me correctly. Getting prepaid packages from TIM is pretty easy, there are TIM company stores in major cities and there are a lot of "Germanos" stores around which sell prepaid packages (they specialize in hi-tech gismos). The package costs 20 euro (19.90 actually) and you get 8 euro talk credit.

The Bad:
When I bought the package online I paid 50 dollars for shipping! Ouch! I would suggest that you either get the prepaid packages in Greece, or have a friend or relative send you a package via Snail mail, it is cheaper!

Usage:
The Good:
I had travelled to a lot of places in Greece, Athens, Ioannina, Patra, Zakinthos, Olympia and many other places (got relatives everywhere!) and I never had a signal problem, even up in the mountains and out in the boondocks. The SIM applications were a bit useful, I was able to get horoscope info, lotto scores (played the lotto while in Greece), soccer match scores and so on. TIM now also offers information via MMS as well as by SMS (examples: MMS video news, MMS radio dedications, MMS weather, MMS comics and more), and they offer WAP connectivity. GPRS connectivity is included as well I believe! I did not have any need to contact customer service to activate my SIM once I bought it, just put it in the phone and used it. Finally, roaming. No hassle, no extra steps roaming. You can roam abroad without any problems. You can send and receive SMS messages and you can receive calls. In order to make calls I believe you need to contact customer service to authorize it.

The Bad:
When I was a prepaid subscriber (between 2000 and 2002) GPRS access was not allowed for prepaid users. I believe now GPRS is not instantly on once you activate your connection, you might have to call customer service to activate it. My dealings with customer service were good, I did not have any problems with them, even when they did not activate my GPRS connection. TIM offers UMTS coverage in Greece in selected cities - Athens, Patra, Heraclion, Thessaloniki (as of 06/2004), however UMTS coverage is only for post-paid customers. Also reception in the Athenian Metro system was not that good.

TIPS:
1) Determine which package is for you, Free2Go and For All offer different 2 different pricing schemes, determine which one fits you best (Free2Go is better for SMS users while For All has better deals on voice calls). Their website is bilingual, check it out for more package and tariff info.
2) In the airport get yourself a package and a recharge card higher than 18 euro, it is the best place to get one. I know that there is a Germanos store in the Greek Airport in Athens.
3) If you need GPRS contact customer service to let them know that you want it and that they should activate it for you.
4) if you want GPRS, go buy the package at a TIM store, have them activate it for you and have the store clerks activate GPRS for you, chances are that they speak English.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
I liked TIM (telestet when I was using it). It had great coverage in all the places I went, I found the free caller ID useful, and I liked that I wasn't hassled with giving out my local info (landline, address, etc). I am a bit apprehensive to suggest them though as a prepaid service because I still do not know if they let prepaid users use GPRS or not. If GPRS does not matter to you - go for it! CSD is offered, and where there is CSD, GPRS is not far behind - give them a try! Oh by the way, the manual and all the SIM applications are in Greek

Club Admiralty - website with stuff about me
Current Prepaid: None
Older Prepaid: AT&T wireless; TracFone; Telestet; Vodafone GR; Fido; SFR; T-mobile US; Tuyo, Cosmote
Postpaid: at&t