View Single Post
Old
  (#140)
schuster (Offline)
Official Member

Default 19-04-2016, 18:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRNewcomb View Post
Well, my Telna SIM still registers on T-Mobile. Not in any big rush to sort out the issues. Having lost plenty of $ on prepaid SIMs that went TU (e.g. 09, Riiing, etc.), I've been reasonably pleased with Telna's postpaid system. Not that I've been doing a lot of international travel recently.
My Telna SIM still registers on T-Mobile and I am able to make calls.
SIP calling still works as well.

However, as I am planning international travel and need some confidence in the arrangements I have made. While Telna seems to work from the US, the general situation in which it seems to be running on auto-pilot, does not inspire confidence. There is no way to get help, check/update billing, perform simple account maintenance like turning voice mail on and off. If this is the status of the front-end, one can only imagine how the back-end is faring. What if I'm out of the country and one of their local roaming agreements expires?

I do have an original Mobal SIM that is still active; however, it is expensive and I do not like the changes they are making to their service model in general. It remains for emergencies only (I did just that in Switzerland last September in areas where the Telna SIM couldn't connect).

As suggested I am looking at Truphone and Piranha from the standpoint of reliability, ease of use, long expiration period for prepaid credit and SIM, ability to top-up automatically, and perform account maintenance on a trip without data access.