View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 19-07-2009, 17:39

Come on people using SIMs in Sardinia or southern Italy. We wanna know what to get!

I shall be watching this posting for replies relevant to me also. I'm off to Sardinia for a week in September and need mobile broadband cover on a PAYG (Prepagati) basis, preferably not a per MB price (unless it's cheap - unlikley!), but instead, a large number of, or unlimited MBs for a set period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwell1 View Post
Also, is there anything I should know about using a European USB/mobile internet device with an US notebook computer?
It shouldn't make any difference having a US notebook. All you need is a USB port in whatever notebook, netbook or laptop that is used. The software is in the dongle you get.

TIM and Wind coverage both look great for Sardinia. Haven't found Vodaphone coverage info yet.

Try and get hold of an unlocked USB broadband internet dongle - eBay will probably have one.

Once you have your unlocked dongle, as I have, all you need is to find the best SIM provider for Sardinia.

For me, what I want is a week of unlimited MB allowance for a fixed pre-paid price and no expiry date for the SIM, so I can just top it up whenever I need it next. I'm guessing the expiry thing isn't gonna be available but if anyone knows who does the unlimited MB deals, that would be good.

I want to be able to buy the SIM in a shop or online.

As Vodafone do 1 week or 2 week deals in Spain, I hoped they might do it in Italy. I've looked on the Vodafone Italy website and found 2 things

1) An inclusive offer for an Internet Key (dongle) inclusive of Internet Card (SIM) with €25 worth of credit for €69. Once activated, that gives all day usage for €1 per day. So the whole package is valid for 25 days but what then? Looks an expensive option to me and I'd want to know is the SIM obsolete or can it be recharged?

2) A special 90-day-validity internet card, (but I think this may be only available to existing Vodafone customers as to buy it requires logging in and the first question when you register, is your Vodafone phone number!) Anyway, it's a 500 MB-allowed-per-day deal costing €1 per day. Activate card free of charge until 24 July. After then, and before 15 August, it's €15 to activate it.

Promozioni e Novita' - Vodafone

As I'm only there for a week, unless the SIM in the €9 Internet Key deal is re-usable, rechargeable and doesn't expire, then I just want a SIM only deal.

If anyone has the answers as to where to get a SIM only with an unlimited MBs or decent amount of MBs per day, can you post?

Last edited by a-mac; 19-07-2009 at 17:45..