View Single Post
Old
  (#22)
wco81 (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 08-07-2017, 07:19

I had no luck finding Tuenti SIM in Palma, Mallorca, back in April.

Two big Cortes Ingles stores, neither had any. In one, they had separate kiosks for Movistar, Vodafone and Orange. I couldn't even get the International Smartphone SIM in these stores.

So I went to a Movistar store and no Tuenti. Orange stores charged more for Mundo or Balena SIMs than advertised on their sites.

So now I'm in Bilbao and I ordered the Tuenti SIM with the current promotion of 12 GB for 14 Euro. They required me to add 1 Euro to have as a remaining balance so I paid a total of 15 Euro.

They delivered it to my Bilbao hotel and I picked it up last night. It was activated already (of course when I ordered online, I had to enter my passport number).

First it showed 3G and then LTE. I entered the APN, user and password values for the hotspot fields on my iPad Air 2 and hotspot became available after I rebooted it.

I tried the Tuenti app. US App. Store indicated multiple language support but it's in Spanish.

Speeds are okay in center of Bilbao, about 19 Mbps down. The network ID says "Tuenti" not the "Movistar" network it's suppose to be using.

Great to have a lot of data. Not sure what kind of Wifi speeds some of the hotels I'll be staying at will have. But I'm visiting Asturia as well as the Basque country and in some places, Movistar 4G coverage is spotty, so will see how it goes.

I have another trip at the end of August, to Munich and Austria. If I could recharge within the app. using my US credit card, I may try it, because the German rates aren't so great. Haven't researched Austrian rates yet.

But with RLAH, it would be nice to get another 12 GB bundle at the end of August and use it in Germany and Austria, though who knows which networks it will roam on.