View Single Post
Old
  (#54)
NFH (Offline)
Prepaid Expert

Default 03-04-2014, 15:01

I found the draft legislation, Article 37 of this draft regulation (see pages 61 to 66), which comprises many amendments to the well known Regulation (EU) No 531/2012. The most notable points I've spotted are:
  • Home networks will have to apply to all their respective retail packages the applicable domestic service rate to both domestic services and regulated roaming services throughout the EEA as if the regulated roaming services were consumed on the home network and ensure that this is complied with when roaming on at least one network in each EEA country. For example O2 UK will apply this in Spain only when roaming on Movistar, because it is also owned by Telefonica. The principle of "virtual extension of the home network coverage" is mentioned.
  • Networks can apply fair usage policies to roaming at domestic prices. Three UK already does this for example.
  • Home networks don't have to agree bilateral agreements for roaming at domestic prices in all EEA countries, but in only 17 member states representing 70% of the population of the EEA. This is probably means that roaming charges in some small parts of the EU like Gibraltar will not improve.
  • Incoming calls will be free from 1st July 2014.
I might have missed some significant points, so I hope others will add more observations below.