View Single Post
Old
  (#17)
a-mac (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 19-07-2009, 17:54

This was my question to petkow on page 1 of this thread.

< Why does the SIMYO SIM have to be tied specifically to me anyway? Surely as a prepaid option, there is no financial risk to the providers so why this Spanish domicile thing, and ID, etc? >

This was the reply:

< This is the same with any Spanish prepaid SIM now. It is not a case of financial risk to the company. It is a government stipulation. Quite a number of countries now require SIM cards to have a registered owner. One of the specific reasons here in Spain is its problems with terrorism. For example the bombs placed on backpacks on the Madrid trains were detonated via mobile phones and prepaid SIM cards. This is why it is generally also not a good idea to buy Spanish SIM cards in your name for other people, as you never know where those SIM cards might end up. A number of people here have asked me to do this in the past, and I do not want to offend anyone, but simply put it is contravening a Spanish anti-terrorism law. >

So you're probably not going to get any volunteers to get your SIM for you Billbo!