View Single Post
Old
  (#2)
gkeeper (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 05-12-2013, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
T-Mobile, U.S. started this trend by dropping roaming costs in 100+ countries 7 weeks ago. I asked, then, if this could be the end of a need for Intl. cards.

Three UK Scraps Roaming Charges in the USA - Outlines LTE Rollout Plans

Published on: 4th Dec 2013

UK based Hutchison 3G is scrapping roaming costs for customers visiting the USA, as well as Indonesia, Sri Lanka and Macau. It has now scrapped roaming costs in 11 countries under its "Feel At Home" branded service.

Feel At Home allows customers to use their UK allowances to use data, text, call home and receive calls from home when abroad in certain countries.

As part of its quarterly business update Three added that it has increases its total active customers to 7.8 million - a 9.7% increase since Q3 2012. Three added close to 300,000 net new customers in Q3.

Richard Woodward, Chief Financial Officer, said: "With a strong network foundation in place and a growing brand reputation, we've seen another quarter of improving profitability. We have also continued our customer growth in both the contract and prepaid markets through simple and enjoyable propositions like Feel at Home and 321. With nearly 8 million customers now on the Three network this is an excellent platform to continue to grow our financial performance."

Three also confirmed its 4G rollout plans. From 2nd December, Three started upgrading customers with a 4G-ready device, so they can access the LTE network when they are in an area with 4G coverage. This rollout will accelerate in January, with all customers with a compatible device able to access 4G at no extra cost by the end of Q1 2014 when they are in an area with 4G coverage.

Three aims to cover 50 cities with 4G by the end of 2014 and 98% of the population by the end of 2015.
It is a nice move by 3 but only if you are calling back to UK or receiving from the UK. If i am reading the 3 website correctly calling any other country while roaming internally or externally will still carry a very high call rate.

Roaming in the United States:
Voice calls to UK send 20p / min receive Free
Voice call to countries in the same band send £1.40 / min receive 99p / min
Voice call to countries in different bands send £1.40 / min receive 99p / min

please feel free to let me know if i am reading this wrongly.