View Single Post
Old
  (#357)
peterdoo (Offline)
Prepaid Fan

Default 15-11-2013, 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitor View Post
It's interesting and new to me that phones are indeed cycling through all the IMSIs. Such trial-and-error method would mean the phone just tries to register with all the IMSIs and the HLR, which in such scenario has to know from which country each subscriber has an IMSI, then decides whether to allow registration or refuse it. Can you say for how long your Android phone sticks to each IMSI?
In a non-toggle country the Android phone first tries the Lyca UK IMSI. After about 30 seconds (all networks refused registration in that time?) it switches to the Vodafone NL roaming IMSI. It then takes about 105 seconds until the phone registers into the preferred Vodafone partner network. It seems to me that the timeout is not fix, but somehow depends on the time the phone needs to try registration in the available networks and receives rejects from them or times out.

I have also noticed once that while a data connection was established on the phone, the balance displayed on the toggle web site seemed to be about 9 £ lower than it should have been. After ending the data connection, the balance has been restored to the correct one lowered only by the amount used for data transferred. It seems that they temporary reserve an amount for few MB of data.

Here are the smallest amounts I have seen being charged for data connections:
Non-toggle-EU (0,67£/MB): 0,0007 £. Charging interval seems to be 1K.
Toggle (0,15£/MB): 0,0146 £. Charging interval seems to be 100K.