View Single Post
Old
  (#5)
drama queen (Offline)
Advanced Member

Default 24-05-2011, 00:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchmello View Post
My family will be traveling to Italy, Ireland, and the UK at different times this summer. We have two unlocked GSM phones ready to go, mostly for the purpose of communicating when we are separated, but we would also like to be able to call to and from the US as well. I realize that one option is to buy SIM cards in each country as we travel, but for this trip I would like to keep the same phone numbers for the duration of the trip, and if possible I would like to buy them before traveling, so we will have the phone numbers ahead of time.

My number one criterion is call coverage, and I can't seem to find any coverage maps online. We plan to travel to some more remote areas of all three countries. Per minute charges are less critical, since we don't plan to have lengthy conversations.

The ability to send text (SMS) messages between the phones would be nice as well.

I would appreciate this forum's guidance in choosing a provider that will provide good service.

Thanks!
Since Ireland is one of the countries you will be visiting, you might consider selecting a SIM from Irish Operator Meteor? They have recently abolished roaming charges in Europe - so you will also get free incoming calls when visiting UK & Italy. Outgoing calls/texts will be at the same price in UK and Italy as in Ireland. I don't think any of the UK or Italian operators offer this kind of deal.

You can order a free SIM on-line, but they only deliver to an Irish address.

Here is the link for ordering a SIM from Meteor.

Free Meteor Sim Card | Pay As You Go Sim Card