View Single Post
Old
  (#7)
stevenjeff (Offline)
Amateur Member

Default 29-05-2007, 13:10

On the first day there she made contact with us by an Internet Cafe inside the airport. She did not know how to use her calling card. This was very scary for my wife and I. We did not speak to her again until the next morning when we call the Host Family where she is staying.
I told her buy a local sim which she did - and guess what it worked. She paid 5 usd for the sim with only 3 min.

The 09 card does not work or she does not know how to manually check for networks. So I will send her the SLV-6 that I have. Once she meets people there the 09 sim might not be the best way to go.
Anyway I will send it cost is 30usd to send a 2lbs package to Ecuador from Ohio. We also talk by email. Here is a copy of the first email she sent us.:

hi,
I am at school right now.
I am fine....quit calling the house!
I will look for a sim card as soon as I can.
I cannot sent pictures because I forgot that I dont have text messaging and i dont have my USB cord for my camera, but you can send that to me later.

The city is so nice. the school is about a 7 minute walk. You can see the city as you walk to school. the city goes up the mountain...you just have to see it.

The house that I am staying at is very very colorful! each wall is a different color...and it is spotless!!!
all of the food is home made. even the juice. this morning we had fruta(fruit), pan y mantaquilla(bread and butter), y jugo de pina (pineapple juice)
she made the juice herself.

My room mate is very nice. She just came from the USA. she does this program called muilti language year through her school in germany. for all of this year she goes to 3 places around the world to learn three different languages. She spent 6.5 months and santa monica, california. and now she is in quito for 10 weeks.

NO ONE KNOWS ENGLISH!!!
only some of the people at the school do.
but it is easy to understand the spanish.

The weather is ok. about 60 right now. I have on jeans and a t-shirt but i put on a sweater for the walk to school this morning.

The lady hosting us is very nice. she is teaching us different vocabulary for the dinner table and proper edicit (sp?). She is very religious. everytime we passed by a church, she did that catholic cross thing that they do....but she is nice

she gave us both keys...one for the street door and one for the house.

all of the houses are gated up and you have to have a key to get in, or be buzzed in...like an apartment....and then once you get in you have to walk up to the house and use the key to open the house door.... you can see the entire city from the front window.

the airport must be really close because the planes fly so low like they are going to land on you.

the cars here drive so fast!!!!
there is no speed limit.
they just fly down the street so fast you barely see them.

there are some palm trees here.

the city is not like any in the USA!!
the buildings and houses are not nearly as nice on the outside...but once you get inside they are really nice. some of the buildings look like tin cans!

and the churches and buildings just leave their doors open and dont have glass on the windows.

have to go!