PrePaidGSM.net Forum

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   SMS forwarding Italy number to USA (http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9833)

Gargoyle 11-09-2016 03:34

SMS forwarding Italy number to USA
 
Currently I have an Italian vodafone sim to use in Italy, and I use an AT&T sim in the U.S.
I need to find a way to receive SMS messages sent to an Italian phone number (either my current sim, or I can set up a new number for the purpose) when I am in the U.S; often I'll need to receive them right away.

I don't want to leave the sim in a phone that is plugged in and sitting in Italy when I'm not there. Vodafone won't forward them, running an app on the phone won't work if the phone is off, and if I don't retrieve them after 30 days they get deleted, so I never see them.

Going the other way it's easy, a google voice USA number will forward SMS to e-mail or to another phone number, but I can't find any method or any virtual number service in Italy that forwards SMS to the US, to e-mail, or to a web interface.

Any ideas?

powerlifter 11-09-2016 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 48772)
Currently I have an Italian vodafone sim to use in Italy, and I use an AT&T sim in the U.S.
I need to find a way to receive SMS messages sent to an Italian phone number (either my current sim, or I can set up a new number for the purpose) when I am in the U.S; often I'll need to receive them right away.

I don't want to leave the sim in a phone that is plugged in and sitting in Italy when I'm not there. Vodafone won't forward them, running an app on the phone won't work if the phone is off, and if I don't retrieve them after 30 days they get deleted, so I never see them.

Going the other way it's easy, a google voice USA number will forward SMS to e-mail or to another phone number, but I can't find any method or any virtual number service in Italy that forwards SMS to the US, to e-mail, or to a web interface.

Any ideas?

Have you tried whats app. I have used it quite a bit. It will go to foreign numbers after you put the number in. If at night, and someone sends you a text when you are asleep it will be waiting for you when you get up. It is also free, and you can make voice calls on it for no charge over wifi.

Gargoyle 12-09-2016 07:03

I have Whats App linked with the Italian number. However, I don't see how that would work if the Italian phone is off- the message would have to get from the Vodafone system into the Whats App system.

Here's an example of what I need- I use some secure Italian websites (like a bank) that have a multi-factor login- user name, password, then they send me an SMS with a one time code that I need to enter within a few minutes before it expires. The only way I've found to access that SMS from the states is to insert the Italian sim card in my phone, turn it on, receive the SMS, and pay one days worth of roaming charges. Expensive and inefficient.

Going the other way is easy- I can use a US Google voice number, SMS messages will forward to my e-mail or a web interface which I can access anywhere in the world. However, I can't get a Google voice Italian number, and I can't find any company that does virtual Italian numbers that accept SMS. Vodafone won't forward SMS when my phone is off line.

rfranzq 13-09-2016 03:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 48779)
The only way I've found to access that SMS from the states is to insert the Italian sim card in my phone, turn it on, receive the SMS, and pay one days worth of roaming charges. Expensive and inefficient.


Yet, it works.
Perhaps you are going to reevaluate the costs and the benefits.

Gargoyle 13-09-2016 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 48782)
Yet, it works.
Perhaps you are going to reevaluate the costs and the benefits.

I need to double check with Vodafone- someone told me they don't charge for inbound SMS when you're outside Italy. If so, that solves everything.

rfranzq 13-09-2016 05:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 48783)
I need to double check with Vodafone- someone told me they don't charge for inbound SMS when you're outside Italy. If so, that solves everything.

That could very well be true.
Tell us if it is.

Motel75 13-09-2016 08:14

It is true. AFAIK there is no charge for inbound SMS on Vf Italia or any other EU operator, even when roaming. FWIW, another option could be to leave your SIM in a phone running Windows 10 Mobile. The SMS will appear on your other computers provided they have the latest version of Windows 10.

dg7feq 13-09-2016 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 48784)
That could very well be true.
Tell us if it is.

inbound SMS are free of charge, no matter if on local or roaming network.
so just plug the SIM in a old phone and have a look once per day.

Gargoyle 13-09-2016 23:56

Great, that is such an easy solution. Thanks!

only one problem- if people call me on that number when I'm on the states, and it goes to voice mail, I wonder if I will get a roaming charge even if I don't retrieve the voice mail. (lots of people in Italy have the number and call me when I'm there).

dg7feq 14-09-2016 08:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gargoyle (Post 48787)
Great, that is such an easy solution. Thanks!

only one problem- if people call me on that number when I'm on the states, and it goes to voice mail, I wonder if I will get a roaming charge even if I don't retrieve the voice mail. (lots of people in Italy have the number and call me when I'm there).

you have to delete all diversions. e.g. by diallying ##002# on your phone.
if the voicemail only hit in after x seconds ringing and not by any diversion you will also not pay


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:12.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2002- ad libitum PrePaidGSM.net