PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Austria & Switzerland (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Postpaid Data in Austria (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6297)

Culex316 12-10-2010 19:56

Postpaid Data in Austria

Hi,

I may spend a month in Austria next month and was wondering if it were possible to book a Postpaid Blackberry data plan (along with a regular voice plan) with any operator. I will be bringing my own unlocked device from the U.S., so I shouldn't have to commit to a 24-month contract, right?

Effendi 13-10-2010 09:03

What's the sense of a postpaid for just 1 month? Go with a prepaid!

inquisitor 13-10-2010 10:09

Without Austrian residency and an Austrian bank account, I doubt you could get a postpaid contract. Besides the question of the existence of contracts without minimum term, I agree with Effendi - why would you take all the trouble of signing a contract in the country with the probably lowest mobile rates of whole Europe?

Culex316 14-10-2010 04:03

I would gladly go prepaid if any Austrian mobile phone operator offered Prepaid Blackberry Data plans which they do not. Without it, I can't get push e-mail or communicate with family through Blackberry Messenger, since such services require the special Blackberry Data Plan (normal prepaid data plan would only let me use third-party appliations), hence my question.

Also I have no intention of signing any contract, just booking the service for a month and then cancelling it afterwards.

inquisitor 14-10-2010 08:41

I see. The situation is the same in Germany, where Blackberry Internet Service is only offered to postpaid customers. But as I mentioned above I'm quite sure you won't get a postpaid contract (i.e. signing a contract) without residency and an Austrian bank account.
With Android you don't need any additional subscription on top of data service in order to get your eMails pushed (at least through GMail) and besides that there's even a Skype app. You can go to any country, get a local SIM with data service and access the internet.
The requirement to get a BIS subscription in order to use a Blackberry device is just one out of many reasons why I dislike Blackberries.

Culex316 14-10-2010 14:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by inquisitor (Post 34313)
I see. The situation is the same in Germany, where Blackberry Internet Service is only offered to postpaid customers. But as I mentioned above I'm quite sure you won't get a postpaid contract (i.e. signing a contract) without residency and an Austrian bank account.
With Android you don't need any additional subscription on top of data service in order to get your eMails pushed (at least through GMail) and besides that there's even a Skype app. You can go to any country, get a local SIM with data service and access the internet.
The requirement to get a BIS subscription in order to use a Blackberry device is just one out of many reasons why I dislike Blackberries.

yeah, damn, Google Maps would have been extremely useful to have. :(