PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Callback, VoIP, Satellite and all other technologies (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Too Good to Be True? (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5725)

Stu 24-03-2010 02:18

Too Good to Be True?

I'd like people to look at this offer from a company offering unlimited worldwide iPhone (and soon iPad data) for about US$60 a week on a rental basis. Does this offer make sense to anyone?

RTuesday 24-03-2010 03:48

You didn't mention which company.

Stu 24-03-2010 11:56

iPhoneTrip - Rent iPhone and Travel Smart

adam917 24-03-2010 12:44

I wonder where the SIM is from, if it can be used in other devices besides Apple's hardware, and of course if it's truly unlimited. Considering the SIM would work even on a locked iPhone, they must have some kind of workaround or hack in their SIMs.

Stu 24-03-2010 12:55

I e-mailed them to find out if I could use it in my 2100mhz Nokia E66 with Jokuispot and a SIP stack.

ATT has an unlimited iPhone international data plan for corporate subscribers on certain accounts for $64.99, but it excludes certain countries (e.g. Russia, Saudi Arabia, cruise ships). This company doesn't have that exclusion. Additionally, on the ATT plan, you have to spend one day every month in the US. I've been told that this is not strictly enforced if your profile doesn't suggest you are living abroad.

adam917 24-03-2010 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 31610)
I e-mailed them to find out if I could use it in my 2100mhz Nokia E66 with Jokuispot and a SIP stack.

ATT has an unlimited iPhone international data plan for corporate subscribers on certain accounts for $64.99, but it excludes certain countries (e.g. Russia, Saudi Arabia, cruise ships). This company doesn't have that exclusion. Additionally, on the ATT plan, you have to spend one day every month in the US. I've been told that this is not strictly enforced if your profile doesn't suggest you are living abroad.

I take it they may see 'living abroad' as staying in any one area for too long (the bill usually shows what networks & cities/countries you were in during those times, right?)...

Are you sure that restriction still exists? Some folks on Howard Forums that have this plan seem to disagree.

Stu 25-03-2010 01:56

On paper the restriction exists, but I can't speak to enforcement. I have ATT Blackberry International and never had a problem. I'm actually tempted to move to iPhone International, but anticipate the mother of all fights getting them to permit this.

RTuesday 25-03-2010 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam917 (Post 31608)
I wonder where the SIM is from,

Jersey is missing from their Europe tariff (even though it includes Guernsey and IOM), and they have a +44 number as well as +1, so maybe that's a clue... (or error).