PrePaidGSM.net Forum

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   EU may end all roaming charges (http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7948)

wco81 15-06-2013 03:46

EU may end all roaming charges
 
EU to end mobile roaming charges next year - Telegraph

OK this part is very encouraging to hear for consumers:

Quote:

Roaming fees for voice calls, texts and internet access will
effectively be completely scrapped under the proposals, which are part
of a broader effort to create a single European telecoms market.

The group of 27 European Commissioners voted in Brussels on Tuesday
to drive the package through in time for the European elections in May
next year, to come into force as soon as 1 July 2014.

„They agreed that this time next year we will have got rid of these
charges,‰ a Brussels source said

Officials will draw up and publish detailed proposals in the next six
weeks.

They expect the death of roaming charges to typically wipe 2pc off
mobile operators‚ revenues, after several years of tightening
regulations designed to put an end to shockingly high bills for
holiday makers and business travellers. They argue that operators will
gain in the longer term by customers using their mobiles more abroad,
particularly to access the internet.

But then this goal of consolidating carriers makes you worry whether prices will decline:

Quote:

The reforms are designed to encourage radical consolidation of
European mobile network operators. A source familiar with the plans
said the European Commission believes there are far too many companies
offering services across the 27 member states and that the
fragmentation is a barrier to badly-needed investment. Without
upgrades, mobile networks will buckle under the pressure of the rapid
growth in internet traffic, it is feared.

„There are around 100 operators in Europe and only four in the US,‰
the source said. „That‚s not sustainable if we‚re going to have a
single market and investment.
Europe has less 4G mobile broadband than
Africa at the moment.‰

Consolidation is not the aim. The aim is a single market, but if it
means we get fewer, stronger operators, that‚s good.‰

With no roaming fees, officials believe the single market will mean
foreign operators will be able to compete for British customers, and
vice-versa. They are likely to form airline-style alliances that will
lead to mergers, it is hoped.

Of course prices charged by operators across the EU vary greatly. It would be great if carriers like TIM and Wind, which offer great prices for data and good networks, were among the survivors of this carrier consolidation.

But if the operators which emerge out of this consolidation are Vodaphone, France Telecom, Deutsche Telekom and other similarly higher-priced carriers, then what?

I used a 25-Euro 10 GB package from TIM during a 2-week trip in Italy last week. No longer unlimited but with that much data, I often used it in hotels because the speeds were better and the hotels were blocking certain network services. For instance, I couldn't use VPN at one hotel but I could use it with TIM.

Bossman 15-06-2013 14:09

This certainly good news for those that live and travel within the EU. No need to try to hunts down an international sim or even a local sim, especially on very short trips.

NFH 17-06-2013 09:35

Based on the European Commission's plans and comments, it is possible that it will cost the same to make a call to a mobile or fixed line anywhere within the EU; O2 Slovakia already does this. It would be nice if the country of one's mobile number no longer has any financial significance and becomes merely the personal choice of the user, i.e. with which country they want to associate themselves. This would be akin to North America whereby consumers choose mobile numbers solely based on the area code with which they want to be associated.

Assuming that it will cost the same to use a SIM card throughout the EU, it will be particularly attractive to have a prepaid SIM card issued in the UK:

Xquisite 20-06-2013 14:45

It's about time, even though the costs for roaming have been brought down it's still insane how much they are allowed to sell it for.

Use of internet should be everyone's right by now.

tux 21-06-2013 12:18

This is one step towards less expensive roaming charges:

Scopri Vodafone Smart Passport

(I don't mean the offer itself, but I refer to the grey rectangle titled "Novità")

NFH 21-06-2013 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by tux (Post 43172)
This is one step towards less expensive roaming charges:

Scopri Vodafone Smart Passport

(I don't mean the offer itself, but I refer to the grey rectangle titled "Novità")

Vodafone UK has an even simpler version of this. You pay £3/day when you're roaming, and all your usage is charged as if you were in the UK, e.g. from your inclusive allowances. All that will happen for Vodafone customers when the EU imposes its ban on roaming charges is that the £3/day charge will disappear.

tux 21-06-2013 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFH (Post 43173)
Vodafone UK has an even simpler version of this. You pay £3/day when you're roaming, and all your usage is charged as if you were in the UK, e.g. from your inclusive allowances. All that will happen for Vodafone customers when the EU imposes its ban on roaming charges is that the £3/day charge will disappear.

I hope so... There's also a rumour about an European telephone numbering plan. I wonder how they'll manage the diversity of prefixes and length of numbers throughout Europe...

NFH 21-06-2013 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by tux (Post 43174)
I hope so... There's also a rumour about an European telephone numbering plan. I wonder how they'll manage the diversity of prefixes and length of numbers throughout Europe...

Would they have a +4 code for the whole of the EEA? They couldn't use +3 because there are several non-EEA European countries with +3 country codes.

See List of country calling codes - Wikipedia

tux 21-06-2013 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by NFH (Post 43175)
Would they have a +4 code for the whole of the EEA? They couldn't use +3 because there are several non-EEA European countries with +3 country codes.

See List of country calling codes - Wikipedia

Long time ago the EU proposed this: Telephone numbers in the European Union - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But it's an awful proposal. Let's see what Neelie Kroes proposes in September :D

ronwi 21-06-2013 18:59

The big difference with the US is that for the most part the cell phone companies are national - a California user travelling 2500 miles to New York is still utilizing the same carrier.

Vodafone in Europe seems to be the closest to this - the various Vodafones in various European countries do seem to have the best roaming plans for Europe.

Another issue could be the ID laws in the various EU countries could be undercut by this. Right now, in Italy one needs to show a passport and tax ID to get a SIM. In Spain, one needs to show one's passport. There are probably other examples, and the trend seems to be towards more ID requirments.

Then you have the UK where you can buy a SIM card and never show any ID to anyone. One can buy a SIM in the UK an use it in Italy, but there are roaming charges so this is not a practical solution for an Italian who doesn't want to show ID to obtain a SIM. However, if anyone can buy a SIM in the UK and use it in Italy with no roaming charges at all, then Italy's ID system is undercut - just buy a UK SIM off of ebay, and you can use it in Italy with no roaming charges.




Quote:

Originally Posted by NFH (Post 43133)
Based on the European Commission's plans and comments, it is possible that it will cost the same to make a call to a mobile or fixed line anywhere within the EU; O2 Slovakia already does this. It would be nice if the country of one's mobile number no longer has any financial significance and becomes merely the personal choice of the user, i.e. with which country they want to associate themselves. This would be akin to North America whereby consumers choose mobile numbers solely based on the area code with which they want to be associated.

Assuming that it will cost the same to use a SIM card throughout the EU, it will be particularly attractive to have a prepaid SIM card issued in the UK:



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:01.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2002- ad libitum PrePaidGSM.net