PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   HELP with SIM card wireless broadband (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6670)

Vinze 13-04-2011 04:31

HELP with SIM card wireless broadband

Hi,
I will be travelling to Italy soon for 3 weeks (Campania region).
I have a Unlocked USB Modem Huawei E160 and a Laptop computer.
I have read all the Prepaid Data plans for Wind, Tim, Vodafone etc.
Please help me to understand what to do.
I need to have EMAIL access and some web browsing.

From what I read, this option should be okay for me...
Internet 40: 40 hours/month worth of data for € 9.00/month (plus € 5.00 activation cost)

Does this option include the SIM data card? Or do I have to buy the SIM card separately?

Then I have to send an SMS to the short number 40916 and type "PRO INTERNET40"
Excuse me for being dumb, but I don't have a mobile phone.
So how do I send an SMS message to 40916?

If I borrowed a mobile phone in Italy to send the SMS message to activate my SIM card, how do they know which SIM card to activate? What I mean is... how does the other end know its me sending the message?
I am really confused on this. :confused:

Then when I am finished in Italy, I must send another SMS message to 40916 writing "OFF"

Any help understanding this is appreciated. :o

Vinze 13-04-2011 23:10

No one has replied to my previous questions.

I just read the notes again.

HOW TO ACTIVATE THE OPTIONS?

Just send an SMS to the short number 40916 (free while in Italy, roaming rate when abroad) writing (text in orange):
- Internet Senza Limiti: PRO INTERNETSENZALIMITI
- Internet 40: PRO INTERNET40
- Internet 100: PRO INTERNET100
- TIMxSMARTPHONE: TIMSMART ON
- TIMxSMARTPHONE BLACKBERRY: TIMSMARTBB ON
- INTERNET 1GB per Tablet: PRO INTERNET1GB
- INTERNET 5GB per Tablet: PRO INTERNET5GB

As I said before... I don't have a Mobile phone to send an SMS as stated above.
Also I don't understand how this SMS works... maybe there is some information MISSING from above.

Is there a website where I can Activate?
Thank you.

Effendi 14-04-2011 08:22

SMS = short message system
The SMS is just a message (max 160 letters) which you can send from your phone or usb dongle to another number. The one who receives your SMS will see your number, so that's how you are recognized by the automatic service for activating option. Your number is linked to the sim-card, not to the phone/usb dongle.

In order to use a data offer like the Internet 40 (which is a horrible option, by the way) you have first to buy a prepaid sim card (10€, including 5€ of credit), then you have to refill it in order to have sufficient credit on it to activate the data offer you chose.

You can send the activation SMS from the program which your usb dongle will install/have installed on your laptop. But you can also ask the dealer which sold you the simcard to do it for you. But it's really an easy thing to do.

In any case I'd go with some better option such as Internet No Stop by Wind or Web 1 GIGA by COOP Voce if you prefer to use TIM network.

Vinze 14-04-2011 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effendi (Post 36406)
SMS = short message system
The SMS is just a message (max 160 letters) which you can send from your phone or usb dongle to another number.
In any case I'd go with some better option such as Internet No Stop by Wind ....

Thank you Effendi for your explanation.
It now makes sense that I can send an SMS with the Sim card in my USB-dongle. I did not know this.
Please correct me if I'm wrong on the following.
First I must buy the Sim card...eg: WIND
Then I buy the DATA option...eg: Internet No Stop
Therefore... do I have to activate the Sim card first in order to send the SMS using my USB-dongle to activate the Data option? (which must be done within 24hrs to avoid activation cost)

And thank you for your suggestion - to go for the "Internet No Stop " which is a better option.

Effendi 14-04-2011 11:33

Easy steps:
1) go to a Wind shop and buy a prepaid card (any tariff, it doesn't change for data)
2) ask the dealer to switch the language to English (he must put the card into a phone and call 4242)
3) ask the dealer to refill your card with at least 5€ (you already have 5€ in the starting kit and you just need 9€ for 1 month of data)
4) when it's active (you connect to the network and can actually send an SMS) send a free SMS to 4033 writing NO STOP SI
5) wait for the comfirmation SMS(es) before starting using data

Vinze 14-04-2011 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effendi (Post 36410)
Easy steps:

4) when it's active (you connect to the network and can actually send an SMS) send a free SMS to 4033 writing NO STOP SI

Fantastic !!!
Thank you Effendi for the 5 easy steps.
I'm printing these out & taking with me to Italy
These are my last questions.
In step 4) when it's active
How will I know when it's active?
Or do I ask the Dealer to activate the card for me? How long does this take?
Thanks again,
Vinze.

Vinze 15-04-2011 04:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effendi (Post 36406)
In any case I'd go with some better option such as Internet No Stop by Wind ....

Hi Effendi,

Sorry...but I have become very confused.

You said a better option for me was from WIND "Internet No Stop"

I have now read the WIND website and it says "Internet No Stop" is for "Per navigare sul Telefonino"

I DO NOT WANT INTERNET on a MOBILE PHONE !!.

I already said I do not have a Mobile phone.

In my very first post I said I have a Laptop computer and I have my own unlocked "chiavetta".

I think I will go back to my TIM "Internet 40" option because it said "INTERNET on your PC".

I am leaving for Italy in one week and I was hoping to have this all sorted out.

I will be staying near Benevento and there is a "Centro TIM" in Corso Garibaldi.

I will go there and hope someone speaks English and helps me out (and not get ripped off).

Anyway, thanks for your help.

I did learn a couple of things and that was good.

Effendi 26-04-2011 14:27

Hi Vinze, I fear it's too late now, I'm sorry, but I was on holidays and I couldn't reply earlier. Internet no stop perfectly works on usb bundles/laptops too even if it's targeted to be used on a mobile phone, so no problem. Anyway I think you already are in Italy and I hope you are enjoying your TIM connection.