PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   International GSM prepaid cards (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Telna Caribbean Experience (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9576)

squawk1200 21-04-2015 00:01

Telna Caribbean Experience

Went to Jamaica, Cayman and Cozumel last week and only encountered two issues with the Telnamobile SIM. The first was my issue as I didn't have the APN set right when we were in Jamaica, so no data (darn .com vs. .net). The second was my phone would not register on ANY network in Cayman. Phone even listed all the networks that it found as "forbidden"... Hmmmm.... Worked like a charm in Cozumel, where Telna made some revenue off of us. First time we had data all week :) No idea what the speeds were, all I know is that it worked for what I needed...

jennifermehl 05-06-2015 00:05

Hi there, we are doing a cruise to those 3 locations in July via RCI - can you please give me more details on what the SIM/plan costs/coverage etc.

Thanks!!

snidely 05-06-2015 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennifermehl (Post 47925)
Hi there, we are doing a cruise to those 3 locations in July via RCI - can you please give me more details on what the SIM/plan costs/coverage etc.

Thanks!!

If you are on the regular (not prepay) plan with T-Mobile U.S. -- all 3 countries are covered.
Unlimited data and text and 20¢/min. voice. (calls via wifi to U.S. are free)

jennifermehl 05-06-2015 22:51

We both have iPhone 6 on Verizon Wireless (my plan is paid for by work so I can't have any roaming charges there). These are world phones and are unlocked for use of a SIM card.

We are looking for a simple SIM pre-pay plan that we can use in Mexico, Jamaica and Cayman Islands. (No need to worry about it while we are on the ship).

squawk1200 06-06-2015 20:17

If you are looking for prepaid SIM, look here:

http://www.piranha-mobile.com/

You will find them highly recommended throughout this forum... I do have their SIM and have used it with good experience...

I personally prefer post paid with Telna (http://www.telnamobile.net), as I just use what I pay for and don't have to worry about unused balance...

snidely 07-06-2015 14:40

I used Piranha a few times before TM instituted its "free" intl. roaming for its customers. Worked quite well. Only minor problem was that sometimes it took 15 to 30 minutes to register the first time you logged on to a system.

DRNewcomb 01-07-2015 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennifermehl (Post 47929)
We both have iPhone 6 on Verizon Wireless (my plan is paid for by work so I can't have any roaming charges there). These are world phones and are unlocked for use of a SIM card.

We are looking for a simple SIM pre-pay plan that we can use in Mexico, Jamaica and Cayman Islands. (No need to worry about it while we are on the ship).

TelnaMobile is not exactly a prepaid SIM. You link it to a credit card; they charge about $20/year to keep the account active then charge usage for calls. They bill your card whenever the balance goes over about $5. I prefer this method over prepaid because I've lost a bit of money on prepaids either when they expired or the company went bust (e.g. Riiing, 09). To me Telna is primarily a backup for calls. Their rates for text and data are not very attractive.

DRNewcomb 01-07-2015 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by squawk1200 (Post 47786)
..... The first was my issue as I didn't have the APN set right when we were in Jamaica, so no data (darn .com vs. .net). The second was my phone would not register on ANY network in Cayman.......

1) I had occasion to ask Telna why I was charged for data when the APN on my phone was not correct for their SIM. They told me that their service has a way to work regardless of an incorrect APN and the only way to avoid being charged for data was to turn the cellular data off.
2) The best explanation for the phone not connecting on a local network is that their schizophrenic multi-IMSI SIM got confused and adopted the wrong persona. The best fix if this happens is to reboot the phone. Each time the phone boots up, the SIM has to decide who it will be today. Sometimes it guesses wrong.

Bossman 01-07-2015 18:28

Same here. I have it mainly for backup,m but have not really used it in about 3 years. I tried to use it in Jamaica in 2012, I was billed for several calls that never rang to my phone. One thing though, I have not been charged the yearly fee recently (the last 3 years or so).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRNewcomb (Post 48009)
TelnaMobile is not exactly a prepaid SIM. You link it to a credit card; they charge about $20/year to keep the account active then charge usage for calls. They bill your card whenever the balance goes over about $5. I prefer this method over prepaid because I've lost a bit of money on prepaids either when they expired or the company went bust (e.g. Riiing, 09). To me Telna is primarily a backup for calls. Their rates for text and data are not very attractive.

DRNewcomb 01-07-2015 19:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bossman (Post 48011)
Same here. I have it mainly for backup,m but have not really used it in about 3 years. I tried to use it in Jamaica in 2012, I was billed for several calls that never rang to my phone. One thing though, I have not been charged the yearly fee recently (the last 3 years or so).

Does anyone else have a Telna SIM that has a SIM application that will initiate a callback between any two numbers? (e.g. landline-landline) Mine has this but when I asked about it they said I was sent a special SIM by mistake.