PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Prepaid in Italy - How to buy (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6713)

Effendi 09-05-2011 09:20

Prepaid in Italy - How to buy

A little guide on how to buy a prepaid card in Italy and the most common issues.

CODICE FISCALE

In order to buy a prepaid sim-card in Italy you must register to the Italian tax system. The only way to do so is to have a CODICE FISCALE.

Smart dealers will generate one for you, but many will not so it's better if you arrive here in Italy well prepared.

Here is a very well done blog with all the detailed instructions about this issue:
How to create an unofficial Italian codice fiscale code to use for making online purchases - Blog from Italy

WHERE TO BUY

Once you have your passport and your personal Codice Fiscale you are ready to go to Italy and buy a prepaid sim-card. But of course you need to find a shop which will sell you one.

At most airports in Italy you WON'T find any phone shop. That's very strange for a phone-addict country such as Italy, but so it is. So it's most likely that you will need to go to the city centre and find a shop there. Often there are some shops at bigger railway stations and you will surely find more than one at shopping centres. In the main pedestrianized streets in the centre you will surely find some as well.

Here are some seach engines for official mobile carriers shops:
TIM
Vodafone
Wind
COOP Voce
Poste Mobile

Nòverca is available online or at Panorama shopping centres.
MTV Mobile offers are available at TIM shops.

HOW TO ACTIVATE THE CARD

You have to do nothing. The dealer will do everything for you.
Vodafone and 3 sim-cards are preactivated, TIM sim-cards usually are active after a couple of hours. With Wind it can take longer, officially also 48 hours, but usually they are active in few minutes, but you could be unlucky and wait even a couple of days. No idea about MVNOs, but usually they work as their network operator.

HOW TO REFILL

This is very easy. Any phone shop and any Tabacchi shop has refills. Most of them don't have scratch cards anymore but they will simply ask you for your number and the amount in euros you want to refill. So just pay attention to tell them the correct number, that's all.
If you find a scratch card you then will have to scratch it and follow the instructions written on the back. Usually you have to call a number or send an SMS with the code, it depends on the operator.

You are not buying "minutes" like in the US, you are buying credit (euros) which you can use for everything you can do with your mobile (calls, messaging, data, options, etc...).

kuba.g 16-05-2011 11:04

When I was buying my TIM sim card in Cesena last month the dealer seemed more worried about me having no address in Italy. He didn't even mention Codice Fiscale...

My card was activated within 30 minutes.

jbee 29-06-2011 12:47

Hi,

Unfortunatly I can not get a tax code with the instuctions in fourum.
Code generator gives : "ERRORE: dati incomplet" message.

I translated my home country Latvia with google translate in italian = Lettonia. When I enter Lettonia in large field Comune/Prov. and leave the small blank - the generator gives the error.
BUT if I leave the same name, and birth data and set "my country" as Gran Bretagna it works fine and gives me a code.

My question is - if I am "fakeing" whole code, how important is the birth country?

Effendi 29-06-2011 13:28

You have to write first the name of your country in Italian (i.e., for Latvia, LETTONIA), then you have to always write EE in the small field besides it.

flychr 29-06-2011 22:03

Hi
I got it to work today by use the EE:)
and my contry!
chr

jbee 07-07-2011 20:50

don't know why but it didn't work for me.
but i found this site MioCodiceFiscale.com - Calcolo online del codice fiscale e del codice fiscale inverso on wikipedia (Italian fiscal code card - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
an it worked just fine (you have to choose your country from drop-down menu)

Now I am with my Wind sim card with one month free 1 gb internet and also (after quite hard day) with unnecessary 16 digit 5 EUR refil code for TIM!! :D

kimdo 12-12-2011 14:23

What the quality of 3 sim in Itlay? Stable for Internet?

As you say, 3 Sim card is pre-activated, just set the APN is ok and work, no need to activate the Sim, right?

If I buy 3 sim card, do I need the tax code too? Thanks

kimdo 16-12-2011 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimdo (Post 38315)
What the quality of 3 sim in Itlay? Stable for Internet?

As you say, 3 Sim card is pre-activated, just set the APN is ok and work, no need to activate the Sim, right?

If I buy 3 sim card, do I need the tax code too? Thanks

Any suggestion?

Piccola 04-01-2012 03:09

Italy Sim Question

I have a Vodafone Sim card that I purchased in Italy. The store set me up with a fiscale code and I was good to go. The problem is trying to add credit outside of Italy. I travel very year but not necessarily within a 12 month period. The website does not allow non-italian credit cards to be used. Last year I went in to the Vodafone store in Italy and they set my credit card info up but somehow the data was lost. Long winded but here is the question. Is this peculiar to Vodafone or all providers, like Tim or Wind. I am considering getting a Tim Sim instead if I can keep it activated while outside of Italy. Thank you

flychr 05-01-2012 15:03

perhaps this will help?
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/buy-...ly-refill.html
chr

Bobclark1964 07-01-2012 12:35

Working in Italy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effendi (Post 36616)
A little guide on how to buy a prepaid card in Italy and the most common issues.

CODICE FISCALE

In order to buy a prepaid sim-card in Italy you must register to the Italian tax system. The only way to do so is to have a CODICE FISCALE.

Smart dealers will generate one for you, but many will not so it's better if you arrive here in Italy well prepared.

Here is a very well done blog with all the detailed instructions about this issue:
How to create an unofficial Italian codice fiscale code to use for making online purchases - Blog from Italy

WHERE TO BUY

Once you have your passport and your personal Codice Fiscale you are ready to go to Italy and buy a prepaid sim-card. But of course you need to find a shop which will sell you one.

At most airports in Italy you WON'T find any phone shop. That's very strange for a phone-addict country such as Italy, but so it is. So it's most likely that you will need to go to the city centre and find a shop there. Often there are some shops at bigger railway stations and you will surely find more than one at shopping centres. In the main pedestrianized streets in the centre you will surely find some as well.

Here are some seach engines for official mobile carriers shops:
TIM
Vodafone
Wind
COOP Voce
Poste Mobile

Nòverca is available online or at Panorama shopping centres.
MTV Mobile offers are available at TIM shops.

HOW TO ACTIVATE THE CARD

You have to do nothing. The dealer will do everything for you.
Vodafone and 3 sim-cards are preactivated, TIM sim-cards usually are active after a couple of hours. With Wind it can take longer, officially also 48 hours, but usually they are active in few minutes, but you could be unlucky and wait even a couple of days. No idea about MVNOs, but usually they work as their network operator.

This is very easy. Any phone shop and any Tabacchi shop has refills. Most of them don't have scratch cards anymore but they will simply ask you for your number and the amount in euros you want to refill. So just pay attention to tell them the correct number, that's all.
If you find a scratch card you then will have to scratch it and follow the instructions written on the back. Usually you have to call a number or send an SMS with the code, it depends on the operator.

You are not buying "minutes" like in the US, you are buying credit (euros) which you can use for everything you can do with your mobile (calls, messaging, data, options, etc...).

Hi there,
I am working in Italy for a while and need a pay as u go sim for the 3 network, this is seeming impossible to do, is there anywhere i can just log on and order one ? i note the comments re tax reference ect, seems like a hell of a fuss for a few months! Cheers, Bob

9eor9 13-03-2012 13:16

Refill from abroad / also PayPal

I found 3 facilities to recharge italian SIMs from abroad (even with PayPal).
The websites are in german, the companies are situated in Südtirol.
These shops also sell italian Prepaid SIMs.

www.messaxio.com (costs 5€ fee) ("Ricarica/Aufladung")

SaveonRoaming.net - Ihr Spezialist für mobiles Internet - Prepaid SIM-Karten Italien - Guthaben für alle italienische Provider aufladen costs 3,90€ fee ("Guthaben aufladen")

www.elektrohaller.it (only TIM, "TIM Wertkarten")

MYprepaidgsm 20-04-2012 04:31

Where is the closest place to buy a mega internet prepaid sim card for data after you landed in rome, italy airport?

hdelagrange 10-07-2012 16:54

I'm having the same problem with a Tre card. I could register on the site and even top up with paypal and/or Visa, but in the end the transaction is always rejected - even when the site says it's ok and done. Afew minutes later there's an sms saying the transaction could not go trough.
The 133 can not be reached from outside italy, also theid international number doesn't work.
What a shame.

Mom 03-08-2012 20:19

Hi, All!

I hope that I am dong the right thing. I have posted this question elsewhere
but wondering if it doesn't belong here. Hope Effendi or another helpful reader can help me!

I have some questions which seem foolish but I still do not understand some basic concepts.

I have two daughters about to go off to Italy for four months. I plan to send them with unlocked cells and then activate SIMS --- probably TIM or Vodafone. They will be using texting and some calls (to other non TIM/Vodafone cells). We have not yet decided on adding internet for their phones --- that will depend on costs.

I have studied this site and the TIM/Vodafone websites, (---I do not understand Italian) but am still not sure on the plans. My questions are related to whether or not you build your own packages/bundles to meet your needs.
I really don’t understand what you get when you activate a SIM and then how you add features that you need. I also don’t understand if you can combine packages.
I can use some specific examples here but I would appreciate any general help.

I will use Vodafone as an example:
1. Do you start with activating your SIM and choosing a rechargeable plan like Vodaphone12? Do you then add options to meet your needs?

2. If you pick a package like Square Smart it includes almost everything but does not consider phone calls to national numbers. So, if you want to call another national number, what do you do. Do you have to have another plan or do you get charged by another rate? or do you get charged the rate of the Vodafone12 if that's what you start with?

Using TIM as my example:
1. Again, do you start with activating your SIM and choosing a rechargeable plan like Vodaphone12?

2. Do you need to pick a basic plan like TIM12 and then can you add a texting option like TUTTO COMPRESO RICARICABILE SMS (text)?

3. Can you combine a voice plan and a text plan?
--- like TUTTO COMPRESO RICARICABILE (voice) + TUTTO COMPRESO RICARICABILE SMS (text) ?

4. If we wanted to add a data package for internet, like TIMxSMARTPHONE, could you add it to either of the above as with the example in #1 or #2?

5. There is also a new option on the TIM website called TIM YOUNG for text and internet. Is this for prepaid users? How do I get charged for calls? Do I pick an option for calls?

Thanks so much for anything you can do to point us in the right direction!

hdelagrange 06-08-2012 13:32

Using TIM as an example:

1. Yes. You buy a SIMcard for 10 euros and it comes with the TIM12 plan preinstalled.
2. Indeed - you can text the option, but usually in the shop they will add it for you. You really need to go to a shop. There is an imprssive amount of paperwork that they perform. It took about 15 minutes in my case. Make sure you have a codice fiscale. No codice, no simcard.
Make sure that for the plan you want there's enough credit on the simcard. The included 10 euro won't bring you very far in terms of mobile data. If the credit is enough, you can activate a plan, through the SMS codes or one of the other options.
3. I have no idea. There's a mobile site where you can log in with your new mobile number and review and manage your options.
4. Yes. I added it when I bought the sim. If you hve enough credit, you can add it with sms messages, but it is an expensive process - the messages you send are charged, and you'll send a few, e.g. at least one to change the language in English :-)
5. It is for prepaid indeed. They renew the option every month and use the credit that is on the card -reload on time. If there's not enough credit, the option will not be renewed and you fal lback to the standard prices. Once there's enough credit, it will autoamtically renew itself unless you asked to stop it through one of the many options.

In general, all over Europe, when you buy a regular SIM, you can call and text anywhere. Only the price is different according to the plan you use.

You can surf the TIM website in more or less understandeable English if you use chrome and the translation option.

The best you can do is walk into a TIM or Vodafone (or WIND) shop and let them help you. You'll need a salesperson for the sim anyway. Mostly they can help you in English.

groutchmeuh 02-04-2013 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effendi (Post 36616)
A little guide on how to buy a prepaid card in Italy and the most common issues.....
How to create an unofficial Italian codice fiscale code to use for making online purchases - Blog from Italy.......).

Hi and thanks for this wealth of information.
But the link seems to be dead:
I could not retrieve it through other searches either.
Do you have a clue ?
Thanks.
Grout.

Holdcroft 24-06-2013 16:32

The Internet Archive Wayback machine has a cached version of the blog on how to create a Codice Fiscale. Try this:

How to create an unofficial Italian codice fiscale code to use for making online purchases | Blog from Italy

wco81 13-05-2014 22:35

Does anyone know if TIM will swap regular SIMs for nano SIMs and transfer the credit over?

Or should I try cutting my regular SIM?

marciphoto 28-06-2014 16:42

I have been trying to generate a codices fiscal.it but keeping getting an incomplete data error message.

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

tux 28-06-2014 18:24

If you need a TIM sim, you won't need a Codice Fiscale