PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Visiting Italy in June (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6706)

alect 08-05-2011 13:14

Visiting Italy in June

We are coming for a holiday in Italy - Venice, Tuscany, Rome.

We are in Italy total of 12 days.

we have Android (HTC Desire) phones and want to get local SIMs to use our phones in Italy (and Netherlands afterwards).

we are unlikely to need much voice calling time - we mainly want data for browsing, maps, etc.. and also VOIP for our existing VOIP lines in Australia and USA - for people to be calling us and us calling family and friends at home. I can also see us using the US VOIP line to call numbers in Italy while there if that's going to be close to paying the WIND local rates. If we get a WIND SIM but do not activate voice calling plan, do we still have an Italian mobile number in case someone in Italy wants to get in touch with us?

So in terms of data - if we want to use VOIP does that mean we should get for the Mega Unlimited? the Internet No Stop could work too but it seems that doesn't allow VOIP?

We're going to have Tablets with us which we would like to be able to tether to the phone. I guess the 100 hrs Plan could work - we're unlikely to be on data more than 10 hrs a day!!

Additionally, after italy we're going to Amsterdam for 3-4 days. I assume this isn't long enough to justify getting a Dutch SIM. If we continue using our WIND SIMs in Holland, do we just pay 0.90/MB as roaming rates? Any roaming plans they have we can use within EU?

Any other suggestions also appreciated.

Thanks

kuba.g 08-05-2011 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by alect (Post 36591)
Additionally, after italy we're going to Amsterdam for 3-4 days. I assume this isn't long enough to justify getting a Dutch SIM. If we continue using our WIND SIMs in Holland, do we just pay 0.90/MB as roaming rates? Any roaming plans they have we can use within EU?

In The Netherlands you can get yourself Vodafone sim card for €7,50 including €5 credit (€10 if you optionally register it) and buy yourself a 250MB pack for €4,75.

Depending on how much data you will need you can calculate whether or not it is justifying a Dutch sim card.

alect 08-05-2011 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuba.g (Post 36592)
In The Netherlands you can get yourself Vodafone sim card for €7,50 including €5 credit (€10 if you optionally register it) and buy yourself a 250MB pack for €4,75.

Depending on how much data you will need you can calculate whether or not it is justifying a Dutch sim card.

What is involved in "registering" it?

Does this 250mb data pack allow use of VOIP?

kuba.g 08-05-2011 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by alect (Post 36594)
What is involved in "registering" it?

Does this 250mb data pack allow use of VOIP?

Registering it = filling in your name and your (real or fake) address on the Vodafone website.

I think it officially doesn't allow the use of VOIP, although in practice you'll get away with it.

alect 12-05-2011 20:25

Any other comments or suggestions re Italy?

anybody 12-05-2011 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by alect (Post 36650)
Any other comments or suggestions re Italy?

Vodafone, if you port your number from another carrier gives you 6 months of free internet (and credit redoubling) in italy. You could buy those sims from ebay. Whatever I don't know if vodafone allows voip calls.

Instead three for sure allows voip calls. Best promotion is three smartpack gold. Read here http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/ital...-newb-out.html

alect 12-05-2011 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by anybody (Post 36653)

Instead three for sure allows voip calls. Best promotion is three smartpack gold. Read here http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/ital...-newb-out.html

I don't think my phone is UMTS compatible.

alect 12-05-2011 21:36

Does the Vodafone "mobile internet" data option allow VOIP? PrePaidGSM: Vodafone (Italy) says "(wap/smartphone navigation only)" - how restrictive is that on a smartphone? browsing I assume is fine. Apps? Mail? VoIP? Maps?

TIM seems to be out of the question for me since their data options dont allow VoIP.

How good is Vodafone's coverage and data speed?

anybody 12-05-2011 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by alect (Post 36655)
Does the Vodafone "mobile internet" data option allow VOIP? PrePaidGSM: Vodafone (Italy) says "(wap/smartphone navigation only)" - how restrictive is that on a smartphone? browsing I assume is fine. Apps? Mail? VoIP? Maps?

TIM seems to be out of the question for me since their data options dont allow VoIP.

How good is Vodafone's coverage and data speed?

All surely works but voip. I'm not sure if it works.
Vodafone coverage is excellent. Only TIM is better in data speed.

Whatever a smartphone is surely an Umts phone.

EDIT: Vodafone Italia clarifies VoIP policy for data plans - Telecompaper

Whatever there are multiple methods to bypass this restriction. (VPN surely bypass vodafone checks)

rickh925 13-05-2011 16:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by alect (Post 36654)
I don't think my phone is UMTS compatible.

Yes, the Desire is UMTS as long as it is not the CDMA one for Verizon which I doubt.

See this link to wikipedia. I'm not sure which GSM version you have but I think you need UMTS 2100 for HSPA in Italy. Anything else and you are on Edge/GPRS. One of the three GSM versions of the HTC Desire supports 2100 UMTS, the others don't (Telus Mobility Canada and Telstra Australia).

Wikipedia entry for HTC Desire