PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Africa, Asia and Pacific (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Prepaid data - INDIA (Mumbai) - 2-6 weeks (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6428)

f300 13-12-2010 09:24

Prepaid data - INDIA (Mumbai) - 2-6 weeks

Hi, I see there are some threads but nothing recent and specific. I have the hardware (I assume there's something available like GSM/EDGE or even UMTS?) but I've heard this registration of the SIMs it's getting more and more annoying.
I don't need a lot of data (a couple megs per day for the mobile should be fine) but of course more is better.

petkow 13-12-2010 10:51

It's true the registration is becoming a bit harder, but you should still manage provided you have a local address and some proof of this. It's certainly a lot easier if you can register the SIM in the name of an Indian colleague. For such low data use, any of the cheap prepaid SIM packs will serve you. In Mumbai, you have a lot of options such as Airtel, Vodafone as well as the large state-run telecom firm (called MTNL) who were the first to offer 3G services in Mumbai.

I would suggest looking at the forum Indiamike.com. In particular, have a look at this sub-forum: Electronics in India - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

tivoboy 16-12-2010 18:27

Can anyone comment on india 3G broadband CARDS, on a paygo or monthly basis? I'll be a few weeks there around the country, need to keep access.

petkow 16-12-2010 20:02

Sorry for asking the obvious, but what exactly do you mean by a broadband card?

mactancoc 17-12-2010 15:21

The Sim card registration is really getting annoying and hard to find. Why is it that if you buy a country specific Sim card, you need to register and need to show passport and identification but if you buy a global card they will not look for anything not even register it. But the rates are a little higher though. I have heard that everybody will increase their rates come 2011 how true is this?

djmonsi 18-12-2010 08:03

Tata docomo in india got best 2g data pack. 48rs/2gb of data. 256kbps speed on edge.

Airtel data pack is for 98rs.

3g coverage is bad, restricting to few cities and that too not a wide spread coverage.

tivoboy 20-12-2010 18:35

tata

Is there any way to get these cards prior to departure?

And, any insight into what dongles work best with them?

thanks for the insight. looking forward to india!

f300 21-12-2010 06:07

Thanks for the link, indiamike is full of information and a good resource for anybody going there.
This registration crap is getting more and more annoying (also for many countries in Europe). I used to joke that because foreign SIMs or pre-registred SIMs are available via different channels (internet, flee markets) they'll catch only stupid terrorists but in the end even stupid terrorists are still terrorists. So "they" have a point somehow but it's still a pain in the behind.

petkow 21-12-2010 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by f300 (Post 34975)
So "they" have a point somehow but it's still a pain in the behind.

Yes, indeed.

In India, the current system is not really just about just registering your SIM, which would be a straightforward process, but instead they have somehow succeeded in just making it really awkward and difficult for non-Indians to get a prepaid SIM registered in their own names. The requirements are over and above what you need in other parts of the world. It's almost as if they are trying to discourage any foreigner from owning a prepaid SIM.

tivoboy 07-01-2011 16:12

Does ANYONE have any ideas on getting a broadband internet solution up and running for a trip to india? I need something for the end of Jan-Feb, would like to have a pre-paid monthy, with unlimited data and as much coverage as possible. A dongle would be best, or a portable router. ANY IDEAS are GREATLY APPRECIATED