PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Europe (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New EU roaming rules from May 2016 - which SIM for roaming (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9773)

wolfbln 13-04-2016 10:34

New EU roaming rules from May 2016 - which SIM for roaming

As most of you will know by now, the EU has decided to bring (most) roaming surcharges to an end by mid 2017. The next step will be implemented 30th April 2016 with a further reduction of EU roaming rates.

In short: Additional to the existing caps, every EU provider needs to offer a tariff for EU roaming that limits the surcharges to 5ct per MB, 5ct per min outgoing, 2ct per SMS. Incoming calls are limited to slightly over 1ct/min. All plus local taxes (mostly around 20%).

So from May 2016 you have basically three choices in the EU:
1.) to stay on your home EU SIM (or the 1st SIM you buy in the EU for visitors) and use it on roaming at your destination. This is the most convenient solution and will be allright for most voice and SMS uses, but only for small amounts of data. Most providers will charge around 6ct/MB, a few go down to 4ct/MB (announced in Slovakia and Austria) and some still are allowed to charge 24ct/MB (based on a high domestic default rate).

2.) to buy a local SIM card in your destination country. This is still recommended for recurring visits to the same country, longer stays and especially high data usage. A starter pack plus some credit is available for as low as 10€ (or the equivalent) in most EU countries. For this price you will get 1GB in most places or even more in some Eastern and Northern countries. But it involves some effort: you need to buy a SIM, have to show your ID in many countries now and need to have some understanding of the local offer and particularities. That's why we make the prepaid data WIKI. It's still the only reasonable option for out of the EU.

3.) to buy a "roaming SIM" for your destination country. This is a mixture of 1.) and 2.) and was introduced to the WIKI 2 years ago. The basic idea is to take a cheap (national) SIM card and use it for roaming in other EU countries. Unfortunately, "international" SIMs like TravelSIM proved to be overpriced and some EU operators try to prevent you doing this. So we've offered a selection of cheap roaming SIMs. This option is meant for travellers who visit multiple countries in a short time when 1.) gets too expensive and 2.) too much of an effort to buy a new SIM in every country. This category proved to be one of the most popular especially for overseas visitors.

As the default roaming rates are coming down from May 2016, EU operators need to adjust their roaming portfolio. They are still allowed different packages for roaming, not compliant to the per-MB EU rule, for users to opt in. So there will be new daily, weekly or monthly packages on sale. It's very hard to keep track of hundreds of providers all over the Union. So I need your help. For my revision of the EU chapter due in May 2016, I want to feature new reasonably priced EU roaming offers. The current offers here can give you an idea. We focus on data, as voice or text roaming doesn't differ so much anymore from domestic prices.

That's why I started this thread. If you have spotted a new roaming rate for the EU in your country on prepaid that beats previous offers, please add it. As the default EU rate is reasonable for most voice and text roaming and light data use, I'm interested especially in packages for higher data consumption (>200 MB).

Vodafone Germany's slashing of all roaming fees for CallYa Smartphone plans is such an offer and will be featured on the WIKI from May. I will take it with me to Spain to check it (and hope that they don't change their mind again).

Thanks for your contributions and the best will be shown in detail on the WIKI, I promise :-)

rfranzq 13-04-2016 18:12

Thanks for your efforts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfbln (Post 48586)
....., I'm interested especially in packages for higher data consumption (>200 MB).
Thanks for your contributions and the best will be shown in detail on the WIKI, I promise :-)

Thank you for your efforts. This will be interesting to watch.
It is kind of sad that over 200MB is considered "high[er] usage".

I don't know whether for your sake to wish that a lot of changes do not occur before May 1st,
or for everyone else's sake that there are lots of changes and a lot of competition.

wolfbln 26-04-2016 20:24

Well, we are now 4 days to go until the new roaming rules in the EU will be finally implemented.

You see, my appeal for new and better EU roaming offers got a rather meager response. Simply, because there are only very few so far. Possibly, we'll get a last minute surprise.

That's why I focused on the editing of the new rules & regulations for the EU and what it really means for users on the prepaid data WIKI. Please check it and give me some feedback if I've missed some important aspect:
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Draft
(this draft site will eventually be split in 2 parts and be moved to EU article position later)

So what do we have in store for (data) roamers in the EU? A very mixed bag for the transition period: Many providers will stay on their excessive 23-24c/MB for roaming (Remember this means €240 for 1 GB), a few will go down to 6c/MB under certain conditions.

But Vodafone in Germany and the Netherlands will get the spotlight with the best offers announced so far. They are the first networks in Europe to drop all roaming surcharges on (most) prepaid plans for the EU:

- Vodafone DE CallYa Smartphone Special: 750 MB + 200 mins (in the roaming country and to Germany) : €9.99 for 28 days. Whether add-ons work too, remains to be seen.

- Vodafone NL YOU S, M or L or Online-only Blox: e.g. 1 GB for €9.99 (30 days, CH included)

- Tele2/*bliep in NL also announced to sell 1 GB EU roaming for €10 in add-on packages.

So for testing, I'll start with VF DE in ESP in 5 days. Results can be found here and in the WIKI later.
Please help me with your feedback, experience or suggestions. Remember, the SIM plan needs to give EU roaming rates more or less at domestic prices. A limit of 2c/MB in a package or 3c/MB in a PAYG rate is set to be included.

peterdoo 26-04-2016 22:18

In theory the same EU regulation valid from April 30th is supposed to enforce some kind of net neutrality. German Telekom called that in their blog: "technically equal treatment of all internet traffic".

That means that in normal case no other throttling of data would be allowed than a general speed limit to the one foreseen in the contract. Throttling/blocking/prohibiting VoIP/WhatsApp calls or tethering should not be possible anymore. Also offering lower speeds in roaming (O2 Germany does that) should not be allowed. Exceptions are allowed to avoid net congestions, however they cannot be in force all the time and on the whole network.

Hopefully the operators will follow the rules without having to complain with the regulators first.

wolfbln 27-04-2016 19:09

@ peterdoo
I will add a segment about net neutrality in the EU to the WIKI.

And here they come: the last minute roaming offers. The providers are not so sure yet. I was really hoping of better rates from the UK given the fact that FreedomPop has started there and Three UK has a smaller roaming-surcharge-free option with Feel at home already-

Now, Tesco Mobile promised to scrap all roaming surcharges in a promotion (23/MAY - 03/SEP): http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/...oaming-charges

So Tesco Mobile will sell EU roaming data like 1GB for £10 or 8GB for £20 from end of May. Great news. May be the UK rethinks their vote about the EU again. It's not all bad after all.

Good news from Belgium too: Scarlet Mobile, a Proximus subsidiary, that sells prepaid SIM cards through the Belgium branch of the Phone House has promised to scrap all roaming charges, for prepaid too: http://www.dhnet.be/conso/consommati...708ea2d4ef43d3

So I think we'll get good offers for EU roaming originating in most EU countries. I'm still a bit disappointed about the cheapies in the East and North, the Western operators are so afraid of. Still, no good offers coming from there yet.

peterdoo 28-04-2016 17:48

We've got the next prepaid one from Germany: LIDL-Connect (MVNO on Vodafone).
Home allowances can be used within the EU without surcharges. Also includes roaming calls to all EU countries, but no LTE for now.
http://www.lidl.de/de/asset/other/LI...eistabelle.pdf

lover08 28-04-2016 20:25

I see most of German Vodafone MVNO have the same deal - you pay home plan (German one) and get this plan also all over EU without surcharge

This is not the best solutions as they offer small data bundles only, mostly combined with calls that one may not need(400 MB, 750 MB, 1GB is the biggest that I see)

750 MB data bundle is not serious in 2016

Nothing heard from O2 and eplus not MVNO and not operators
(Eplus MVNO were first who made free incoming calls in eu without conditions but by today they didn't offered something interesting yet
We will wait

peterdoo 28-04-2016 21:04

That were the times when E-Plus was the small operator, ready to fight. Now O2 is the largest one, not so flexible anymore. The other operators also do not have a pan-European network of own/associated operators behind them, like Vodafone does.

wolfbln 29-04-2016 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by lover08 (Post 48621)
This is not the best solutions as they offer small data bundles only, mostly combined with calls that one may not need(400 MB, 750 MB, 1GB is the biggest that I see)

Vodafone DE has switched on free roaming one day ahead of schedule.

Most Vodafone DE MVNOs seem to copy Vodafone's billing of selling included mins/SMS or MB without any surcharge in all of the EU. All calls and SMS within the roaming zone (not only to Germany) will be included as well - as long as you've booked a domestic package before.
This applies to MVNOs Otelo, Fyve, Edeka mobil, Lidl Connect and some more, but most likely not to Lycamobile.
So 3 GB EU-roaming data can be purchased for €20 on some of them.

WizardOfOz 30-04-2016 20:05

TescoMobile(o2UK) have a summer promo on from 23rd May - 4 Sep

Triple credit last 30 days, £20 credit will buy you 8GB and £40 bonus credit can be used on calling the EU (excludes UK) 4p a minute and 1p a text to EU, MMS 25p, free incoming.

http://www.tescomobile.com/homefromhome

A/C management online
http://www.tescomobile.com/my-account

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-...riple%20credit

3UK has 2 prepaid offers

Data Reward 200MB Mobile Broadband free a month can be used in EU calls in same roaming country or to UK, 4.3p a minute, 1.8p a text, 4.3p a MB.

200MB can be used in EU with 3 Feel@Home countries (see below)

30 day data Addons available after 200MB, 2GB £15, 5GB £20, 10GB £25.

free 200MB sim http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Pay_A...oadband_tariff

Pay as you go ^same rates but you can buy add-ons off UK mins, texts and allocation of data - this data allocation can be used as in the UK.

All in One 10, 1GB, 100 min, 3000 texts ,£10

All in One 20, 12GB, 300 min, 3000 texts, £20

All in One 25, All-you-can-eat data, 500 mins, 3000 texts - £25

Or calling UK or same roaming EU country without a addon is same as rates above. Incoming calls 1p a minute.

"Feel At Home

You can now use your UK plan allowance or Add-on allowance to call or text the UK and to get online, if you’re in Australia, Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Italy, Macau, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Ireland, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland and the USA. You’ll also benefit from lower-than-usual roaming rates in these countries if you run out of an allowance or you're using Pay As You Go credit. Find out more on our main Feel At Home page.

We wouldn't recommend buying a Euro Internet Pass in a Feel At Home destination, since it's usually cheaper to buy a UK Add-on in My3. If you do buy a Euro Internet Pass in one of these destinations, please be aware that your data won't be blocked at midnight UK time as normal. This means that unless you then buy another pass, any data use will come out of any allowances you have, or will be charged at our lower roaming rates."

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-...se=Ext(EM38751)

I have used the info on the site for many years (thanks everyone) so covering my costs I will be happy enough to send anyone either. Also mods I would like to update the UK prepaid page with current UK info so if you are interested in doing such let me know :)

wolfbln 02-05-2016 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by lover08 (Post 48621)

LIDL connect has confirmed today, that they have opened the "surf stick plan" of monthly 5GB at €15 for EU roaming too. Now we have 5GB for €15 in roaming in 3G. That's amazing!

To everyone reading here: there is no secondary market for Lidl Connect. You have to visit a Lidl store in Germany. And you have to buy this USB dongle (that's an unlocked Huawei E3531) in the starter for 29,99€ with 10€ credit. Nobody knows what to do with it. Needless to say, that the SIM works everywhere else too.

dchs 03-05-2016 19:19

Hello,
I'm thinking of buying Vodafone callya sim card(smartphone special 750mb and 200min/sms) on ebay.Could anyone please clarify when the pack gets activated-on the date of order,on the date the card registered,on the date the card it's activated or on date of first chargeable event?As I don't speak any German I used google translate but it something is translated as ''on the date booking'' and I'm not sure what means.
I can also see a listing for 500mb rather than 750mb and 200min/sms but I'm not sure if it's valid for EU roaming?I imagine this might be a previous offer on vodafone.

lover08 03-05-2016 19:41

I have sent you a private message. From my experience with Vodafone Germany. It can't be activated by end client, only seller has a special portal, where he activates it (some other German prepaid can be activated by end user, but Vodafone can't) so seller usually can activate it to Germany Ausweis ID only, maybe some sellers can activate to International Passport. They will activate when they will ship it so 30 days will start to countdown.
Maybe you can ask seller by message to activate it later and ask also if he accepts non-German passport for activation. There are also other sellers sell already activated ready to use SIM cards, usually without balance on it. You can buy it and then add money and then activate package but again you will need some support from seller how to do that
Read my Private message and if you want you can contact me by Private message because this maybe irrelevant to other forum visitors
Alex

dchs 03-05-2016 19:56

Thanks for the offer.From what I gather ebay sellers usually register the card against the payment details-address and so on and some mention that if the buyer wants the card registered to someone else/another address,then they need to provide those details.I haven't seen anyone asking for a passport,is that really required?I thought that registration and activation were different things(i.e. the card can be registered but activated yet while the it's obvious that it can't be activated if not registered yet)?
Some sellers stated this
2 Für alle Optionen gilt: Der Nutzungszeitraum von 4 Wochen beginnt mit Tag d. Buchung.

Google translates this
The usage period of 4 weeks starts with Day of booking
which is not quite clear.

lover08 03-05-2016 20:05

I just checked on ebay, first of all I didn't find anyone who ships outside of Germany
And also all sellers write this details:
"Für die Freischaltung brauchen wir Ihre Daten.
Name,Vorname, Adresse, Geburtsdatum und Ausweisnummer" (that means they they need your details Ausweisnummer is Germany ID number
I was a seller of Vodafone, I had that portal for activation and it required Ausweisnummer, I didn't have an option for foreign passport at all (maybe other sellers yes have)

When seller activates a SIM card so the plan starts to countdown. If you have a plan without monthly charge so no charge at all, but if we are talking about plan Smartphone Special so it has 10€ on account and from the moment you activate it (Seller put your details to his portal) so 10€ taken and first 28 days (4 weeks) starts to countdown
Der Nutzungszeitraum von 4 Wochen beginnt mit Tag d. Buchung I think he means from the date of purchase, I may be wrong. I didn't sold these SIM cards I sold CallYa Talk&SMS in past

dchs 03-05-2016 20:44

Thanks for clarification.It;s not a problem for me that some sellers do not ship outside Germany as I have German forwarding address.I can't see Ausweisnummer at the listings I monitor.

wolfbln 04-05-2016 22:29

about Vodafone CallYA activation:

I really don't understand the problems:
1.) There are the "Freikarten" = free SIMs. They are still sent all over Germany by mail already pre-activated connecting to the network rightaway. They don't have credit preloaded and you still need to top them up. The plan starts when you top it up. This is the easiest way, if you know anybody with a German postal address as they can be started anytime or later too. They can be ordered for free to any German postal address on the Vodafone website only: https://www.vodafone.de/freikarten/?redo - click on purple jetzt kostenlos bestellen
2.) There are starter packs which are sold in service stations, small shops, super markets etc. all over the country for €10. They have 9.99 € credit on it and are set to either Talk&SMS rate (without monthly fee) or Smartphone Special (for 9.99€ with free roaming included). These starters are redistributed on eBay.de or Amazon.de. Most of the shops will send it abroad. It's not a problem of activation or passport data, but of postage. So ask them directly. Amazon warehouse shops aremore open to foreign distribution. But you can ask the small phone shops selling on eBay too.
These starters can be activated on this Vodafone site that can be switched to English: https://www.vodafone.de/komfortaufla...uest_locale=en
You don't need a German passport or registered address. This is nonsense. Vodafone says: "Please enter your personal data correctly.
If you have no permanent residence in Germany, please state the address of your current residence."
So you can use any address you know of in Germany, like a hotel, apartment etc.
These starters start the moment they are activated and charge the 1st 28 days of Smartphone Special from the preloaded credit. But you can activate a Talk&SMS SIM too, stay on the plan without monthly base rate and change to Smartphone Special (with free roaming) later.

So all the people talking about passport data etc. Some merchants want to take advantage of a customer referal bonus. But this is for their own benefits as they sell the SIM below the recommended sales price of €10. All the SIM cards Germans still buy in shops need to be activated online. Only the SIMs you buy in a Vodafone shop, they may activate them there, if you are lucky. For all 6 SIMs I bought for Spain for testing roaming for the WIKI and to give them to my friends here, I didn't need an German ID no. or any special ID check.

I will feature this SIM plan on a new featured site on the prepaid WIKI soon. Please be a bit patient. I'm working on it. Having said this, it's harder to get a LIDL Connect or a Rossmann mobil SIM abroad because there is no secondary market. For the moment, there is no other way but to go to a Lidl store or Rossmann market in Germany and buy it there. But again, these SIMs are to be activated online, without the need of any ID no.

P.S. If you are so scared about the German activation (which is still a joke), take a Vodafone Netherlands SIM instead. They have the same scheme and no activation at all. I'm in contact with merchants there too. They will offer it on eBay soon.
In both countries discussions are going on to tighten the laws on unaccounted prepaid SIMs, but nothing has been finalised yet. So you are not breaking the law.

One final word: It's still unclear if the Lidl Surf Stick plan (5GB@€15) is included in the roaming without surcharges scheme. I was not able to try it yet and users got opposite statements by the customer service. But on all other Lidl Connect (that's the NEW Lidl brand) packages and included allowances you are safe to go. For the Surf Stick pack, we need to wait until confirmed by an user.

dchs 07-05-2016 20:31

Many thanks for the detailed and helpful reply. lover08 sent me a private message with links to their sim cards on different network and hence offered a pretty biased advise suggesting passport requirement,etc for the alternatives.
Anyway,as you noted some merchants on ebay offer the starter packs(including 10EUR credit covering the first month fee) and the price is well below 10,most around 2EUR,there's even one for 1EUR and it states 500MB as opposed to 750MB,which I assume is some older offer.I don't know what the deal is-whether they want a referral bonus or expect to get a commission on future top ups but it was unclear when the cards are activated. IT's pretty clear that 1 or 2 EUR can hardly cover the postage and ebay fees,but EE for example sell sim cards for 0.99GBP which has 5GBP in it loaded .I sent messages to some ebay sellers in English asking if they can activate the cards at a later stage so the countdown starts when I need the card but only one replied vaguely to buy when I need it.There are offers on amazon but the buyers there complain that the starter packs have low credit(1eur or pennies)not enough to activate the first month.I have no problem with postage as I have a forwarding address in Germany I can use and postage upto 1kg will be delivered to my country for 1.70EUR,but I can only buy online.I think people might be able to use shipito like services but I'm not sure if it's viable.
As far as I know there's no easy option to top up if you don't have a German bank account/credit(debit) card?
Hence,I decided to go for starter packs on ebay as they are cheaper and if I manage to get a couple I won't need to top up ever(will just bin them after package expires)but I'm still unclear if the starter packs on ebay are pre-activated by sellers for some reason.

wolfbln 09-05-2016 15:14

and the next Vodafone network is opening prepaid bundles without surcharges for roaming:
We welcome Vodafone ITALY to the family.

http://www.telecompaper.com/news/vod...aming--1142501

And they even go beyond and include roaming in the US. So customers of Vodafone RED in Italy, prepaid or postpaid can use included allowances for roaming in the EU, Switzerland, Turkey and the US at their domestic rates - amazing.
That's 4GB and unlimited voice/SMS at €39 for 28 dayd or 8GB and unlimited voice/SMS at €49. RED is available on post- and prepaid in Italy:
http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...e?icmp=TeP_Abb

P.S.: Italian SIM cards are only sold in Italy.

peterdoo 10-05-2016 09:46

Unfortunately it looks like in RED Start only 100 minutes, 100 SMS and 100 MB per day are included in price.

Click on "+Estero" on the following page:
http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privat...VOCE_RED_Start

wolfbln 10-05-2016 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterdoo (Post 48641)
Unfortunately it looks like in RED Start only 100 minutes, 100 SMS and 100 MB per day are included in price.
[/url]

Yeah, you are right: In Europa e USA RED Start prevede un massimo di 100 minuti, 100 SMS e 4,5GB al giorno in roaming. Il traffico dati in roaming concorre insieme a quello nazionale al raggiungimento delle soglie dell'offerta . But: I primi 100MB al giorno sono inclusi. Poi paghi 2 euro ogni 100MB fino al raggiungimento di 4,5GB al giorno previsti dalla tua offerta. While you can use up to 4.5 GB, only the first 100 MB per day are included, the next 100 MB are sold for €2 additional.
This is of course advertised as "included roaming". A bit misleading, I have to say. The same can be found at RED Maxi description. With Italian offers, you should always read (and understand) the small print.

This is not free roaming included like in Germany. This has been verified now and added to the WIKI. I will verify Dutch Vodafone next week. Dutch SIM card already arrived by mail back home in Germany, but i'm still in Spain. So up to now, "free roaming" (= roaming without surcharges at domestic rates) is included only in most prepaid allowances of Vodafone Germany and most likely those of the Netherlands.

dg7feq 11-05-2016 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfbln (Post 48643)
I will verify Dutch Vodafone next week. Dutch SIM card already arrived by mail back home in Germany, but i'm still in Spain. So up to now, "free roaming" (= roaming without surcharges at domestic rates) is included only in most prepaid allowances of Vodafone Germany and most likely those of the Netherlands.

Will be very interested to read the result of your test. If that works i will definitely buy a Vodafone NL next time i'm over the border to buy some coffee pads ;)

wolfbln 20-05-2016 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by dg7feq (Post 48644)
Will be very interested to read the result of your test. If that works i will definitely buy a Vodafone NL next time i'm over the border to buy some coffee pads ;)

Hi. I've concluded my testing about Vodafone NL in Germany. It follows the same pattern as German Vodafone CallYa SIM cards: included allowances can be used for roaming without surcharges.

You can see the comparison at the bottom of this site:
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Euro8

As you are from Germany and surely know the new Vodafone roaming rules for CallYa already, I can only think of two reasons why to change to Dutch VF SIM:
- you need Switzerland included
. you need a 4G data-only SIM (in Germany you have the choice between original VF with combo packs on 4G or resellers with data-only too, but on 3G only)

But the VF NL SIM is not very widely available on the internet so far. In contrast to Germany, vendors only sell it for a premium. But in the NL you can get it still freely without registration for free.

*bliep and Tele2 can be an alternative in the NL too. It has now been confirmed to me that on *blieb you can get the 1GB for 10€ roaming package without having a domestic base plan booked before (on the white plan).

For more info check the WIKI. The last of my roaming tests will be a Tesco UK SIM for their holiday promotion in a few weeks, which may be extended or not...

peterdoo 21-05-2016 09:50

Another reason, why to change to Dutch VF SIM would be if you need to call from Germany to other EU countries. While German CallYa does not include those calls within the packs, the VF NL probably does.

wolfbln 24-05-2016 01:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterdoo (Post 48651)
Another reason, why to change to Dutch VF SIM would be if you need to call from Germany to other EU countries. While German CallYa does not include those calls within the packs, the VF NL probably does.

Yes, I thought about this 3rd option too. BTW. I can confirm included allowances to 3rd countries on the Dutch VF SIM too (I called an Irish number on the Dutch SIM while roaming in Germany).

Calling rates on roaming are regulated, foreign calles are not. So calling on a German SIM in Germany abroad (unregulated) is more expensive than on a Dutch SIM in Germany abroad (capped by regulations).
The flip side however is being called: Using a Dutch SIM in Germany is much more expensive for a caller from Germany than to a local SIM.

Well, I've tried to present both options on the WIKI equally. I think they are the best options around for EU roaming on a monthly basis.

dg7feq 24-05-2016 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfbln (Post 48656)
The flip side however is being called: Using a Dutch SIM in Germany is much more expensive for a caller from Germany than to a local SIM.

yes, so no issues to use a dual-SIM phone with e.g. a netzclub SIM to be reachable on the german number :)