PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   International GSM prepaid cards (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   2017 Piranha Mobile Sim Card 2017 thread (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9964)

GadgetKen 07-08-2018 22:29

@Bossman Thanks for pointing out the Piranha website updates. They emphasize direct dial instead of dial-out on the new cards. But their new rate structure varies enormously by country. Bermuda outgoing calls are now US$1.06/minute (they say on "Digital" but it's likely "Digicel"). Canada is 40 cents a minute for Bell and 35 cents for Telus. USA is only ten cents a minute on AT&T (no T-Mo).

As a comparison, I used Koko in Bermuda last month at 49 cents a minute. And my T-Mo/Mint Mobile roams in Canada or Mexico at 6 cents a minute and 25 cents a minute elsewhere they have a roaming agreement. USA talk is a nickel a minute on AT&T/H2O pay as you go prepaid and unlimited on T-Mo/Mint Mobile.

Not holding my breath on receiving new sim cards from Piranha after filing replacement sim card requests on the Piranha online account management system weeks ago. Given that not much was left on my Piranha card, or my fathers, it's not much of a loss. And at their new rates in countries I would likely use it, the remaining credit wouldn't last very long. Still, I'm curious what carrier is backing the new sim card and whether Piranha will send out the replacement sim cards they promised to old customers.

hawkdeira 08-08-2018 11:45

Replacement Piranha sim card arrived this morning!

kctopitz 08-08-2018 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdeira (Post 50333)

Did they notify you when it shipped?

GadgetKen 08-08-2018 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdeira (Post 50333)

Cool!

Can you determine what carrier is backing the new sim card?

And did they give you back the remaining balance from your old sim card(s)?

hawkdeira 09-08-2018 11:24

Hello - the new replacement sim took 48 hours to arrive after filling in their online request form. You then go back online to activate it before you can use it.
I chose a UK number which is free and that is with Jersey Telecom (there is a choice of a US or Canadian number but that incurs a monthly charge of 50 cents). Only one number per sim, unlike the old sim which had both US and UK numbers.
Yes the old balance transferred across to the new card the same day.

kctopitz 09-08-2018 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdeira (Post 50340)
Hello - the new replacement sim took 48 hours to arrive after filling in their online request form. You then go back online to activate it before you can use it.
I chose a UK number which is free and that is with Jersey Telecom (there is a choice of a US or Canadian number but that incurs a monthly charge of 50 cents). Only one number per sim, unlike the old sim which had both US and UK numbers.
Yes the old balance transferred across to the new card the same day.

Did they notify you that it had been shipped out? I used the new replacement SIM request function well over a week ago. Haven't received the SIM or any updates about it.

kctopitz 09-08-2018 12:46

Follow-up: My SIM arrived today in Germany, so I can answer my own question and say that there was no notice that it was shipped out. Postage date is August 7th. Assuming they shipped a big batch the same day, I'm guessing those of you in the US will receive them later this week or next.

After activating it, my previous balance was transferred over within 30 minutes, although interestingly it's now in US dollars instead of British pounds, despite selecting a UK number.

Important note: APN is now "roamingplus". Data is billed per 10kb. I think it was 100kb previously, so that's an improvement.

The default APN profiles on the SIM (APN: "pepper") indicate it's a Jersey Telecom SIM.

DRNewcomb 09-08-2018 13:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkdeira (Post 50340)
.....I chose a UK number which is free and that is with Jersey Telecom (there is a choice of a US or Canadian number but that incurs a monthly charge of 50 cents). Only one number per sim, unlike the old sim which had both US and UK numbers.......

Since my Piranha SIM has been used mostly as a backup, in case T-Mobile doesn't work, I'll probably forgo the 50¢/mo US number.

I suppose that with the new SIM there is no VoIP calling? This is looking grim.

bourbonkiller 09-08-2018 14:00

Mine just arrived too. Went through the activation process and chose a US Number, because I do not need a new UK Jersey number and it might be cheaper to forward to US Numbers then to Jersey Numbers. No problem with assigning and activation, even with no balance on it. They say something about up to 48 hours until the old balanced get's transferred.

Got assigned a Los Angeles +1 213 XXXXXXX number. No signs or mentioning of incoming charges to the US Number, neither on the letter that came with the SIM, nor during activation process. Couldn't find a mentioning about incoming charges in their T&C's too, but only cross read it...

There is a new lifetime for the SIM, if you don't use it for 420 Days, account might get closed. This seems different to the old Piranha SIM.

rfranzq 10-08-2018 02:39

Will everyone in the last three months who requested one be getting theirs now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kctopitz (Post 50342)
Assuming they shipped a big batch the same day, I'm guessing those of you in the US will receive them later this week or next.

I first asked for a replacement SIM when this first became news.
I wonder if they are sending everyone who requested one a SIM or just more recent folk. If anyone requested the SIM more than a month ago and gets one now: Please speak up. It will give reassurance or at least a warning that we will need to request again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbonkiller (Post 50345)
Got assigned a Los Angeles +1 213 XXXXXXX number.

That is the area code I was born in. Live near by to it now. [Same place.]

GadgetKen 12-08-2018 06:53

Replacement sim cards arrived in the mail. Jersey Telecom is the same carrier as my Koko sim, but the Piranha rates in Canada and Bermuda are higher.

Bossman 14-08-2018 01:33

I suspect that somehow Piranha has forgot to send a replacement SIM to some of us. I requested one on 5/19 (via their support ticket) when the issue first came about as well. I have not received it yet. So I went ahead and put in another request yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfranzq (Post 50350)
I first asked for a replacement SIM when this first became news.
I wonder if they are sending everyone who requested one a SIM or just more recent folk. If anyone requested the SIM more than a month ago and gets one now: Please speak up. It will give reassurance or at least a warning that we will need to request again.