PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   Italy (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Going to Italy for 13 Days, Data & SIM help (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6592)

bossku69 25-02-2011 16:34

Going to Italy for 13 Days, Data & SIM help

I'm leaving for Italy in about 2 weeks and staying for 13 days. I need to get setup on some type of data (ideally MiFi device) and cellular plan.

I've used pre-paid SIM cards before, but I'm looking for a different route. Ideally would love to use my iPhone 4 with my iPad. I'll be doing a lot of travel with trains from Venice to Rome, Florance, Milan, etc., and need the ease and accessibility of finding my way around, i.e. Google maps & directions on the iPhone.

Last time I went, I bought two pre-paid SIMs for two unlocked phone, a Tmobile G1 and Nokia e61i. Both consumed the $50 worth of data in minutes while using the web and browsing maps.

I found a company that will lease a MiFi but is going to sent me back over $230 for the trip, and that doesnt include cellular minutes. I wont be making a lot of calls, but if I do, they are to an Italian cell or back to the US, as well text messages.

Any suggestions on what to do? I was told to setup a plan with an Italian carrier (TIM, Vodafone, etc.) but can't seem to figure out how to do that. I'd like to stay around $100 to $150 for both cellular and data for the 2 week span... is that possible?

I'm guessing the only way to use my iPhone would be I would have to unlock it to work with another SIM, but I don't mind using the TMobile G1, its got decent maps but just dont want to blow through $50 worth of data in an hour again.

Thanks for any help!

Effendi 27-02-2011 12:54

I don't undestand well your problems, it's all quite complicated! :D
BTW if you have an unlocked phone I think it's the best solution to buy a prepaid card.
Wind could be the cheapest and best solution, but unfortunately it has quite bad coverage along railway tracks, expecially where there are many tunnels (which are not covered yet). So if you plan to travel mostly by train and need data there I think TIM or Vodafone would be better.

bossku69 01-03-2011 04:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effendi (Post 36001)
I don't undestand well your problems, it's all quite complicated! :D
BTW if you have an unlocked phone I think it's the best solution to buy a prepaid card.
Wind could be the cheapest and best solution, but unfortunately it has quite bad coverage along railway tracks, expecially where there are many tunnels (which are not covered yet). So if you plan to travel mostly by train and need data there I think TIM or Vodafone would be better.

I am confused about how the mobile prepaid packages work.

So I have an unlocked smart phone, G1 Andriod: HTC - Products - T-Mobile G1 - Overview and last time I just bought a prepaid card, but burned through all the data very very quickly.

I'm looking to utilize the data more and get an unlimited plan, as well as voice... something that will be me like 1GB of data or so. In order to get data on TIM, all I would need to do is buy a prepaid SIM and text "TIMSMART ON" to 40916? Its that simple?

Or I'm considering an option like renting a MiFi device some this company: Italy Wireless Data Rental - Unlimited 3G data via Mobile Hotspot and Wireless Modem then I would just use a VoIP service on my iPhone. However, this appears to be a bit more pricey, although gives me more options than just having a single SIM and can use it on 3 other wireless devices I have.

Any suggestions?

Effendi 01-03-2011 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossku69 (Post 36013)
I'm looking to utilize the data more and get an unlimited plan, as well as voice... something that will be me like 1GB of data or so. In order to get data on TIM, all I would need to do is buy a prepaid SIM and text "TIMSMART ON" to 40916? Its that simple?

yes, it's that simple. Just wait for the comfirmation SMS before using data, of course.

bossku69 01-03-2011 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Effendi (Post 36018)
yes, it's that simple. Just wait for the comfirmation SMS before using data, of course.

Thanks! sometimes when it seems that simple its not :D

Question for you tho, on your thread about service, you post "You can use the Wap APN also for normal navigation with your computer, but with some limitations (no pop3/imap and other things)." Do you know what those options are?

Also, is there a way to turn on pop3/imap as well as things like Google maps (if they are not available)? If not, is there a better carrier you recommend?

Lastly, if your using an iPhone 4, that requires a microsim, does that fall into the "tablet" pricing? Even still, at 5GB for € 19.00/month is about what I'm paying in the states.

I'm guessing you can't activate "tablet" data on a smartphone right?

Effendi 02-03-2011 10:55

With the Wap APN (i.e. TIMxSMARTPHONE option) you can use the connection only through your mobile phone. No tethering. Google maps works with no problem, as well as POP/IMAP on your phone should work too. At least that's the way it works on Vodafone, I think it's the same on TIM.

All operators sell micro-sims. Just ask the dealer to get one for you.
The "per tablet" options are only for tablets, not for any other phone, iPhone 4 included. So get it only if you have an iPad or other tablet.

MarathonMax 10-03-2011 02:04

Going to Italy too ... wondering if you solution worked

I too will be going to Italy soon. With iPad and iPhone 4.

Want to know if I should pay to unlock my phone ($50 to do so with Rogers/Fido in Canada) or buy a mifi router ($150).

Like you, I am planning moderate (to high!) use of data. Which plan di you get?

Tks

Max