PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived)

PrePaidGSM.net Forum (Archived) (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/index.php)
-   International GSM prepaid cards (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Cruise ship cell phone rates? (https://prepaid.mondo3.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6399)

rfranzq 03-12-2010 07:31

Cruise ship cell phone rates?

Does any international prepaid SIM card have rates better than ekit's $4-$5??
Any other international SIMs work on cruise ships?

Any US prepaid SIMs work on cruise ships?

adam917 06-12-2010 03:30

Probably only Mobal & maybe TravelSIM clones like OneSimCard would work, let alone at anything cheap. No US prepaid SIMs work on cruise ships IIRC. Stick to SMS w/ whatever you have that does work till you get near a country with cheaper rates.

Update: I just logged into my Mobal account & see under their 'Cruise Ships / Ferries' entry, it costs 1.95 USD/min to receive calls & 3.95/min to call the US or UK. Calling elsewhere would be 5.95/min. Received SMS is free & sending is 80 US cents/message.

GadgetKen 06-12-2010 20:06

It is cheaper to go straight up to a satellite with your own satphone than use the ship's microcellsite to relay the call through a satellite. Phones are pricey, but many dealers will do short term rentals with airtime being paid on a prepaid or postpaid basis. Carriers include Iridium, Globablstar, Inmarsat, Thuraya, Terrestar, etc. Airtime rates usually in the US$.80-US$1.99/minute range depending on carrier (usually includes international long distance).

FBlack_111 10-12-2010 23:17

Passengers on most cruise ships can now just use their own cell phones while the ship is at sea. Verizon and ATT charge $2.49 a minute. T-Mobil charges $4.99!!!.

DRNewcomb 22-12-2010 17:49

What I've done when on a cruise ship is to forward all incoming calls to voicemail and ask caller's to text me. People who needed to reach me knew to text, not call. I think I spent about a total of $2.00 roaming while on that cruise but important messages could still reach me instantly.

rfranzq 23-12-2010 04:30

Well, I am back from my four day cruise to Mexico

Here are some things I learned about prepaid SIM cards when riding a cruise ship.
AT&T and T-Mobile prepaid does not work.
Tru[phone] worked, but since I did not know the rates, all I did was receive SMSes testing it.
Ekit worked and charged as described.
I also have an SMS only Philippine SIM card called SMART Buddy that worked on the cruise ship.
All three SIMs had free SMS receive.

I wanted to burn up some balance on the ekit card I had [received $20 credit for a mix up when I got it]. Did 14 79cent SMSes and a 2 minute call @$4.49 a minute. SMSes are really the way to go if possible.

rfranzq 24-12-2010 05:09

Additional Princess Cruises cell phone information.

I got a brochure from the 'hotel desk' of the ship called Keeping Your Mobile Phone Connected at Sea. Almost all the information is familiar to people who frequent here. The service is provided by Maritme Communication Partners AS. So if you are on a cruise ship, you might want to see if they have any brochures about their cell service.

Stu 25-12-2010 03:18

Burning up ship Internet credit, I did a VOIP call which worked pretty good as well.

rfranzq 25-12-2010 05:42

What was the rate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stu (Post 35014)
Burning up ship Internet credit, I did a VOIP call which worked pretty good as well.

How much was the ship charging for minute?

davidtheprof 26-07-2011 21:42

going to be on a 7 night Caribbean cruise at the end of the year, including Mexico, so wondering about the Lime sim card - seems to be good for incoming calls and texting, but very expensive for outgoing, around $3/min, (unless to other Lime customers).

Tru sim seems to have generally better rates around the region. Better than my old Geosim, anyway!

as for Wifi calling, the ship claims to block Skype, but I wonder if the data rate is too slow anyway when at sea....or if I could get another VOIP service to work (Truphone, Nimbuzz, etc.)

the per minute rate for wifi is 75c/min, dropping to 50c if you buy a block of minutes. (don't know why they don't charge by the MB!)